Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Registering Multiple Web sites using custom action
wizzzy
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:02:13 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I using a visual studio setup and deployment project and using the custom action to register several web applications.
The problem I am encountering is that that it will usually only end up registering the one application, occasionally there may be 2 applications registered.

The applications needs to share the same port but are using different virtual directory ,its the same set up that I use with IIS but I'm looking to also use Web server pro so that I can have also a automated web server configuration option

I'm not getting any error messages and the event viewer don't have any indication of error.
if leave the CREATESHORTCUT as true it will actually create the short cut but not register the web app, so it does looks like its is working.

I've tested the custom action individually and there is no problem and they register correctly.
I can manually register the applications without any issues but that's not much use as I'm trying to fully automate the installation

Is there anything that I'm doing wrong here? or is there any suggested work around?

Thanks
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 9, 2014 9:37:13 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi there!

We had similar problem reported not that long ago, but we were unable to reproduce it. Could you please try our test from that forum thread and let us know if multiple apps are registered successfully or not. We then can go from there.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
#3 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 2:55:17 AM(UTC)
Groups:

I can confirm there's no issue with using a bat file to register, I've used both the test bat file and also tried registering my own apps (4 web applications) via bat file and they both work without issue.

It seems the problem only occurs when trying to registering more than one applications via the custom action in the visual studio setup and deployment projects.

When registering just the one web application there's never been any issue.
If more than one application it will register one and occasionally 2 applications correctly.
The installer does seem to be running the custom actions correctly cause it will create the shortcut files (when I leave the createshortcut flag as true)
Also if I on purpose introduce an error into the script, as expected it will throw up an error during the install process

wizzzy
#4 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 2:57:13 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Guest;4897 wrote:
I can confirm there's no issue with using a bat file to register, I've used both the test bat file and also tried registering my own apps (4 web applications) via bat file and they both work without issue.

It seems the problem only occurs when trying to registering more than one applications via the custom action in the visual studio setup and deployment projects.

When registering just the one web application there's never been any issue.
If more than one application it will register one and occasionally 2 applications correctly.
The installer does seem to be running the custom actions correctly cause it will create the shortcut files (when I leave the createshortcut flag as true)
Also if I on purpose introduce an error into the script, as expected it will throw up an error during the install process

That was me I forgot to log on!
Ultidev Team
#5 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 9:53:09 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hm, one would think that registering applications in sequence from custom actions would be just like running a .BAT file, but obviously MSI does something differently, which manifests in something looking like timing issue, of as if custom actions ran in parallel.

We will investigate this problem within next couple of days. Meanwhile, to test our theory please try to insert a short delay between app registrations in the custom step, or better yet, copy "C:\ProgramData\UltiDev\WebServer\UWS.Configuration.xml" after each registration to another location, and so it would be possible to compare whether application registrations make expected changes to the file.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
Ultidev Team
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 11, 2014 4:47:00 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi,

We we able to reproduce the problem and to solve it. As we thought, it was a timing issue, but it was not caused by MSI. Instead, it turns out, it's Starter.exe, which by default spawns a program and then quits without waiting for the child process to finish.

Fortunately, Starter.exe has "/s" parameter that makes it synchronous, i.e. makes it wait for started program to finish before Starter itself exists. So both register and unregister command line arguments in custom actions should start with "/s", like
Code:
/s "[ProgramFilesFolder]\UltiDev\Web Server\UWS.RegApp.exe" /u /AppID="[UpgradeCode]

This should do it. We have updated documentation accordingly.

Thank you for reporting this and our apologies for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
1 user thanked Ultidev Team for this useful post.
wizzzy on 1/13/2014(UTC)
#7 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 8:35:23 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Message was deleted by a Moderator.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed