Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Does Cassini Web Server 2.0 Work in Windows 2000 with SQL Express
#1 Posted : Friday, May 26, 2006 8:04:47 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Thanks for a great product.

I am using Cassini Web Server 2.0 in Windows 2000 Professional (SP4 with IE 6.0) and it has data access under the App_Data path. After registering the website/application through Cassini explorer, I can access the default page fine (developed in ASP.NET 2.0 Visual Web Developer 2005 Express). I have installed .NET 2.0 Framework and SQL Express 2005 and MDAC 2.8. SQL security is Windows authenticated (not mixed mode).

However, I get errors listed below when it appears the website calls for data access from the logon controls.

"Server Error in '/' Application.

Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection will be closed. "

I have been succcesful on an XP station with same configuration of website and .NET 2.0 and SQL Express 2005. I am also succesful on Windows 2000 Pro with IIS running with the website and SQL Express 2005.

I have tried various user settings (currently local account with administrator setting) as well as path locations (inetpub/wwwroot, mydocuments, etc).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kent
#2 Posted : Friday, May 26, 2006 11:14:20 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Message was deleted by a User.
Ultidev Team
#3 Posted : Friday, May 26, 2006 11:15:11 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi, Kent.

We have not tested Cassini with Win2K, but from the error message you provided it seems that SQL thinks user account from which SQL is started is an interactive user with profile folders, like My Documents, etc. Now, Cassini Server runs under "Local System" account, which has no user profile since it's not an interactive user. Do you happen to use impersonation in your ASP.NET application? If not, then any application/service - not just Cassini - running under "Local System" account and trying to use SQL Express 2005 will have the same problem. We'll investigate the issue, but see if you can google for the solution to the Local System account plus SQL 2005 issue. Please post the solution here if you get to it before we do.

Regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
#4 Posted : Friday, May 26, 2006 11:42:18 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Thanks for the quick response.

To my knowledge we are not using impersonation in the ASP.NET application.

I will pursue a solution as well and will post it if I am able to come up with a solution prior to your investigation.

Once again, thanks for the quick response.

Kent
Rss Feed  Atom Feed