Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Change local Network Address
To-nee-T
#1 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2009 10:34:00 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Is there a file where I can manually change the "Local Network Address" that shows up in the Network Settings page for a network?

I have two network cards on two different networks
A. 192.168.1.0
B. 192.168.0.0
Only when I disable network card B do I succeed in setting up my site with the ability to access it over the internet. Once I re-enable network card A, the Local Network Address defaults to the A network and I loose connectivity.

How can I ensure that the network card that HttpVPN uses is the one on the B network?
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2009 7:19:48 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi there!

This may be a limitation that we'll have to address in some future version. However, you may try to change the Metric on the adapter's TCP/IP settings (Advanced) and change it so that appropriate adapter is used for Internet access and as a default one to determine which subnet is a LAN where apps live.

Please let us know what you have found,

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
To-nee-T
#3 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 9:36:28 AM(UTC)

Thank you for your response. On re-reading I realised that I made an error. It probably wouldn't change your answer too much, but just for the sake of clarity.

I have two network cards on two different networks
A. 192.168.1.x
B. 192.168.0.x
Only when I disable network card B do I succeed in setting up my site with the ability to access it over the internet. Once I re-enable network card B, the Local Network Address defaults to the B network and I loose connectivity.

So I tried using a metric for each card.

Card A is the one with direct access to the internet/modem and where HttpVPN works. I want this one to be the default so I assigned a metric of 1.

Card B's IP address is 192.168.0.1 and it was assigned by default when the internet connection sharing wizard was run in order for my Wireless Access Point to give internet to my wireless devices. I assigned this card a metric of 2.

When HttpVPN network was deleted and re-setup at https://MyOwnSecureWeb.com the Local Network Address still defaulted to the IP of card B, i.e. 192.168.0.1. once both network cards were enabled So setting the metric did not help.

I need the Local Network Address to default to IP of card A (192.168.1.x) otherwise I cannot view my webpage externally. Any other suggestions on how I can achieve this??

Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 10:20:43 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi there!

Thank you much for detailed problem report.

There may be a problem with the HttpVPN Proxy logic that determines which address is LAN and which is WAN (we prohibit using Proxy as a pass through to Internet). We will need to analyze the source code to see what's going on, which will probably be next week. Meanwhile, please try this: modify hosts file to make the machine name resolve through the adapter A's subnet, for example
Code:
machinename 192.168.0.1

It may work, but even if it does not, we'll take a close look at the LAN/WAN logic and may be able to add the fix to the Beta 2, which is in testing now and will be released soon.

Please let us know if this has helped.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
To-nee-T
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:09:34 AM(UTC)

Thanks again for your response.

Your suggestion, unfortunately didn't work.

We've tried putting entries in the hosts file and lmhost file. I'm not exactly clear on what the lmhosts file does, but I tried it anyway. Neither worked.
When we ping the machine name, the ip it resolves to is 192.168.0.1. If we can get the machine name to resolve to 192.168.1.12 that might help. If there is no other way, we'll be waiting for Beta 2.

Thanks
To-nee-T
Ultidev Team
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 1, 2009 4:31:08 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi,

We are sorry, but we failed to mention that after changes to hosts file, HttpVPN proxy service needs to be restarted. Please try hosts approach one more time.

We are assessing the impact of changes required to work around the issue and will let you know pretty soon whether we will be able to release with Beta 2, or will be rolled out with a next release.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
To-nee-T
#7 Posted : Tuesday, December 1, 2009 5:06:41 AM(UTC)

I restarted the machine when I made the changes and hoped that the HttpVpn service got restarted. I'll try this again though, but is there another way to restart the HttpVpn service?
Ultidev Team
#8 Posted : Tuesday, December 1, 2009 6:46:17 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi there.

Restarting the machine after changes to hosts should have helped if that was to work. Since it didn't restarting the service is unlikely to help either.

To restart HttpVPN service, in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services, find UltiDev HttpVPN Proxy Service and restart it there.

We hope to post within next 24 hours whether "Is it LAN address" functionality will be updated in the upcoming Beta 2, or will have to wait for another release.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Ultidev Team
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 2, 2009 4:22:53 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi there.

The workarounds we have provided are not likely to succeed because after examining the logic of the proxy it is clear that our logic assumes that the first NIC found in the system determines which addresses are LAN and which are not. We are going to change the logic to look for all adapters that have IP addresses within private subnets (10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255, 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255). We will try to add it into the upcoming Beta 2, but cannot guarantee that right now. We'll post here whether this change will be available soon.

Also, we assume that the application you are hosting with HttpVPN has a URL that resolves to the A network (192.168.1.x). Could you please confirm that? Otherwise the problem may be something else.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 28, 2010 4:22:43 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Message was deleted by a User.
#11 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 5:56:41 AM(UTC)
Groups:

#12 Posted : Friday, October 8, 2010 8:59:11 PM(UTC)
Groups:

#13 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 5:25:09 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Message was deleted by a Moderator.
#14 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 3:35:55 AM(UTC)
Groups:

#15 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:19:31 AM(UTC)
Groups:

#16 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 3:31:39 AM(UTC)
Groups:

#17 Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2015 5:21:51 PM(UTC)
Groups:

#18 Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2015 6:29:04 PM(UTC)
Groups:

#19 Posted : Saturday, May 28, 2016 6:18:53 AM(UTC)
Groups:

#20 Posted : Sunday, May 29, 2016 9:34:09 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Rss Feed  Atom Feed