Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Issue installing on Windows XP SP3
rite_eh
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 1, 2017 8:06:21 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hello,

I am having a problem installing on two different Windows XP machines, one is a VM and one is not. Both receive the following message upon launching the MSI:

Installation Incomplete
The installer was interrupted before UltiDev Web Server Pro could be installed. You need to restart the installer to try again.

I am using the latest UltiDev.WebServer.msi that was included in the download on your website.

I've included a MSI log of the failure. Is the current version of UltiDev no longer compatible with Windows XP? If so is there a past version that I can use that is?

One machine had Framework 2.0 installed and the VM had the same. After the failure I upgraded to Framework 2.0 SP2 with the same result.

Thank you in advance. Please let me know if additional log info is required.
File Attachment(s):
ultdevinstall.txt (13kb) downloaded 161 time(s).
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2017 10:08:13 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi,

We looked at the log you have submitted and have a few notes:
- Windows XP is supported only starting with XP SP2, as http.sys driver was not added to it until SP2. We currently recommend installing very latest XP Service Pack available (SP3?).
- This problem seems to be related to this MS bug, but we have never encountered it our testing.
- Please attach "C:\Program Files\UltiDev\Web Server\UWS.Installer.log.txt" file from the system where installation fails to your next reply, because MSI log often misses critical diagnostic information.
- Following other issue submission guidelines generally speeds up the process of troubleshooting.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
rite_eh
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 2, 2017 11:12:47 AM(UTC)

Hello,

Thank you for your response and apologies for my earlier omissions.

To confirm, both computers are Windows XP SP3.
I have assembled a zip file, however the information contained is sparse as no files (or folder) was created for UltiDev in Program Files. I did check this location prior to (and after) dismissing the installer in case the files are deleted on exit.

Please let me know how I should proceed.

Thank you
File Attachment(s):
ultidev.zip (235kb) downloaded 136 time(s).
Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Friday, March 3, 2017 3:43:36 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi,

We have not been able to develop any leads beyond the MS bug we've mentioned in our previous post. We will spin up a Windows XP SP3 VM in the next few days to re-test installation, and will report our findings.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
rite_eh
#5 Posted : Monday, March 6, 2017 11:13:25 AM(UTC)

Thank you for checking into this. If necessary I can make our XP VM available for testing purposes as well.

Ultidev Team
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 8, 2017 3:52:01 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi,

It's been a while since we needed to create a Windows XP VM. Our attempts so far revealed that Hyper-V on Windows 10 no longer supports it, and Oracle VirtualBox fails when attempting to start Windows XP VM. What kind of image to you have? If it's one of those two, or for another VM host that can be obtained for free and is compatible with Windows 10 x64 host, please share it so we could download.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Ultidev Team
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 8, 2017 10:04:39 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi,

We were able to reproduce the issue on Windows XP x86. We tried a number of work-arounds, but it looks like UWS MSI installer generated by Visual Studio setup & deployment project has a bug that would require another release of the product. Given how little demand there for Windows XP it being not supported, we probably won't make another release just to fix this specific problem.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
rite_eh
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2017 2:12:00 PM(UTC)

No problem, I'll put one together in vmware. VMWare Player (free) should work for using it. Will likely be later today. I have Framework 2.0 installed, it's Windows XP SP3 and UltiDev.WebServer.msi on the desktop.

Is there somewhere I can email you a download link?

We really appreciate your help and will be pleased to make a donation as well.

Thank you.
Ultidev Team
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2017 5:43:21 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi,

In case you have missed our other post, the one above, we were able to reproduce the problem in VirtualBox after we've disabled Hyper-V. The bad news is that it looks like the problem is in the UltiDev.WebServer.msi because it was generated by Visual Studio installer project that had a bug. Even to attempt a solution, we'd need a custom build environment.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
rite_eh
#10 Posted : Friday, March 10, 2017 5:47:06 PM(UTC)

Hello,

I did miss that post, thank you for pointing it out. I experimented a bit with orca and removing a few custom actions for diagnostic purposes based on a post found online (DIRCA_CheckFX and VSDCA_VsdLaunchConditions). We were able to get further into an installation but still encountered a failure: Error 1001. InstallUtilLib.dll:CorBindToRuntimeHost (hr 0x800700003): The system cannot find the path specified. So this was a dead end for us as well.

We wish we could avoid dealing with XP but still have users relying on it on older hardware.

Based on your findings I assume there won't be an older version of Ultidev that would work (nor would there be another way to deploy it without issue I assume). Would you recommend we build your legacy product into our installer for XP installations instead?

Thank you for your continued assistance.
Ultidev Team
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 12, 2017 9:30:16 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

We've replied by email with links to older versions of UWS. Please let us know if those have helped.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
1 user thanked Ultidev Team for this useful post.
rite_eh on 3/13/2017(UTC)
rite_eh
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 14, 2017 11:16:38 AM(UTC)

Thank you very much for sending the links along. Build 19 installed fine on Windows XPsp3.

We have a few issues now but they appear to be in our ASP.net pages, so we will further investigate those.

Again, thank you for working through this process with us.
Ultidev Team
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:13:24 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Not a problem! Thank you for using UltiDev products.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
#14 Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 8:52:37 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Message was deleted by a Moderator.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed