Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Can not install
#1 Posted : Monday, July 10, 2006 10:38:12 PM(UTC)
Groups:

If I was to install Ultra Dev Cassini how would I do that? I have tried running the main exe with /q and /s but it does not work.

Also, why can we not run the MSI file directly? When I do this it errors.

Many thank.
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2006 5:23:01 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi!

The answer to your question depends on the version of UltiDev Cassini you are using.
Assuming you have downloaded the latest one release on July 10th, then if you are trying to install Cassini as a developer - to create a setup project for your ASP.NET application that will include Cassini, then you just need to run EXEs that you have downloaded.

If you are wondering how to redistribute Cassini with your ASP.NET applications to install it on users' boxes, then you need to follow steps described in the Cassini Developer's Guide:
- Setup project creation walkthrough for Visual Studio .NET 2003 and ASP.NET 1.1;
- Setup project creation walkthrough for Visual Studio 2005 and ASP.NET 2.0;

If you still are having a problem, please let us know which version of Cassini you are using.

Regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 13, 2006 9:41:22 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Sorry, I didn't explain my question very well, but thanks for the reply.
I am wanting to redistribute the latest version with my app. I see the setup.exe, however, I need to install Cassini silently. The user needs to be given the option to install Cassini, I could give them this option and then call your setup.exe at the end, however I would like to do this silently and /s /q does not work. Also, preferrably, I would like to just distribute an msi file rather than the setp.exe but this does not work.

Thanks,
George.
Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Friday, July 14, 2006 5:48:15 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi, George.

When your application installs Cassini, both Cassini component MSI packages (Explorer and Server) are internally installed with /Q (quiet) switch. That means you only see progress bars while Cassini components are being installed. There is a slight difference in how applications bundled with Cassini for ASP.NET 1.1 installed vs. Cassini components for ASP.NET 2.0. With 2.0 version, bootstrapper will display a list of missing components it is about to install, like .NET Framework, Windows Installer 3.1 and Cassini. Version for ASP.NET 1.1 does not show that initial screen. That's the only difference. If you use Visual Studio to build you setup project we strongly recommend approach described in the Developer's Guide.

If you use InstallShield or some other non-VisualStudio setup authoring tool, then you may need to have access to Cassini MSIs. With Cassini for ASP.NET 2.0 it is easy, they are located in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages\UltiDev Cassini Web Server for ASP.NET 2.0" folder. With the Setup.exe bootstrapper for ASP.NET 1.1 it's a bit more complicated - both MSIs are packaged inside the Setup.exe as .NET resources.

Please let us know whether you use ASP.NET 1.1 or 2.0 and whether you use Visual Studio for setup package authoring, and we'll try to come up with the solution.

Thank you,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 16, 2006 7:46:00 PM(UTC)
Groups:

I will be using ASP.NET 1.1 and am not using Visual Studio for the setup package. In actual fact I wish to install Cassini after the installation. i.e. the setup program will install all the files (including the Cassini MSI or setup) and then launch a control program. This control program will install Cassini and setup the web service. The reason I am doing this is because other things need to be installed outside of our application MSI file.

Thanks.
Ultidev Team
#6 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2006 5:35:46 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi, George.

You can download Cassini Explorer MSI from here.
Cassini Server for ASP.NET 1.1 can be downloaded from here.

When you are autohring the installation package using tools other than Visual Studio, please follow following steps: you will need to have Cassini Explorer installed first, and Cassini Server second. After that you will need to register your ASP.NET application with Cassini metabase. It's done using an .NET methods defined in UltiDevCassiniServerConfiguration.dll. To register your application after installation, call Metabase.RegisterApplication() method. Parameters of the method closely mimic data requested when registering ASP.NET applications using Cassini Explorer. To unregister your ASP.NET application during uninstallation, call Metabase.UnregisterApplications().

We do not recommend uninstalling Cassini components during your product uninstallation becasue other applications that use Cassini may be installed on the same box.

Regards,
UltiDev Team.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed