Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Uninstall?
gregl
#1 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 5:09:04 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Greetings,
First I have to say thanks, I love the product - nice job. I've followed the instructions here: http://ultidev.com/Forum...oject-bundling-UWS.aspx for bundling the install with my Visual Studio (2010) set up project. It works great, I've had no problems with app registration or anything - (thanks for the great write up).

The only problem is, I *must* uninstall the web server when my app is uninstalled - it's a requirement. I'm guessing a custom action with msiexec /x UltiDev.WebServer.msi would do it, but I'm not having any luck figuring out how to do that with a file system executable like msiexec. Is there a better way, or am I just missing something obvious?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Greg
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 5:24:07 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hello, Greg.

Thank you for great feedback. You can use msiexec along with product code to uninstall the product, but doing so would violate our license terms. In order to be able to redistribute UWS you must adhere to the terms, and leave it up to the user whether to uninstall UWS. Could you please describe the use case why you absolutely must uninstall it? We would like to accommodate your requirements if possible, but please let us know why removing UWS is a requirement?

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
gregl
#3 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 7:49:40 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Thanks for the quick response...I certainly am not trying to circumvent any license terms. The problem is the application is a web based diagnostics app - it is run once or twice by a qualified installer who is setting up a turnkey solution involving the delivery of a that one single computer along with some additional hardware. After the diagnostics pass, the tool is uninstalled - all remenints of it need to disappear as well, before the entire appliance is delivered to the end user. The qualified installer could certainly uninstall Web Server Pro as well, but management would like it to be one install, one uninstall, mostly to streamline the process, I guess.

Please let me know if this is possible, or if using Web Server pro in this manner would violate the license terms.

Thanks!

Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 12:46:40 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi, Greg.

Our license permits uninstalling UWS if your uninstallation routine ensures that no other applications (beside UWS redirector)
are hosted by UWS. Then it's alright to uninstall UWS automatically. Please be sure to handle properly a scenario when your solution gets installed on a machine where UWS already installed and is hosting some other applications. Your uninstaller should not break those applications by removing UWS. If these situations handled gracefully, you are alright.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.

Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed