Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Specifying Port
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2006 12:54:15 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Cassini will not let me specify ANY port. I have to choose system assigned, but I need it to run on 80. I've ran netstat and nothing is running on that port. I have also tried 81 and 8080, all come back Please enter valid port number between 0 and 65535.

Can anyone help?
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2006 1:52:51 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hello, Bradley.

This is a known issue - we are sorry for the inconvenience. There's an easy workaround though: enter leading zeros to make the entered port value consisting of 5 digits:
00080 will give you 80, 08080 will give you 8080, etc. Cassini Explorer should take those values just fine.

Also, if you plan to make your application available on the web, please change Cassini service's identity from very powerful Local System, to either Network Service or ASPNET if you are on XP. Otherwise hacking and taking over your web application will mean taking over your computer. Cassini service can be found in the Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.

Regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2006 4:04:12 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Thanks, that did the trick!

The application is being built for intranet use. Do you still suggest changing the service account?
Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2006 7:39:46 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hello!

We're glad that helped.

In intranet you would have to assess your risks depending on the number of potential intruders. Large companies usually guard their networks against internal threats almost as diligently as against external. But small and middle-size companies don't need to be that paranoid. Powerful account has benefits of allowing easier access to files and folders, gives write permissions, etc.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed