Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Cassini accessible within LAN but not VPN
ajkessel
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 8, 2010 4:56:03 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I have the latest UltiDev Cassini installed on a workstation in my LAN. It works fine there. When I attempt to connect to the same host/port via a VPN from the outside, however, I only get a timeout. The same workstation runs other webservers (e.g. Winstone) without problem both from the LAN and VPN. Any ideas how to troubleshoot why I am unable to connect to the Cassini server on the VPN?

Client attempting to access the server is running Windows 7, if that matters.
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 4:15:59 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi there!

Do we understand you correctly that Cassini applications are accessible from an another machine inside the LAN, but not over VPN? It's unclear whether you have only tried reaching the apps from the same box where they are hosted, or you also tried to access it from other machines within the LAN.

In general, we'd recommend focusing on the networking as a potential cause as UltiDev Cassini simply listens on the port, and if port is not blocked by firewalls and TCP traffic is routed properly, Cassini apps should respond on it.

Please take a look at the Windows Event Viewer (Application) to see if there are any relevant errors/warning.

We are definitely interested in helping you figuring out what is going on.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
ajkessel
#3 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 4:59:40 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

It is accessible from anywhere in the LAN; both from the machine it is hosted on, and from other machines in the LAN. But no one can reach it when connected via VPN into that same network. Oddly, though, *other* webserver software hosted on the same box *is* accessible, both from the LAN and the VPN, so it makes me think it is a Cassini issue rather than a network/box issue. I don't see anything relevant in the event viewer.

I suppose the one thing that is different between the webserver software that is working and Cassini is they are listening on different ports, so I will try experimenting with that, e.g., switching the ports.
Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Friday, July 9, 2010 7:44:46 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
It is truly odd. We have never heard about this issue before. We do very straightforward TCP listening and can't think of anything special that would cause this behavior. Please try putting other web server(s) on the same port. Also please try installing UltiDev Cassini on other machines and hit http://machinename:7756/ over VPN to see whether there is anything special about that particular box.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed