Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

dotnetnuke on XP Home
trebitzki
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 3, 2006 5:05:29 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hello,

I have set up a dotnetnuke site successfully on my local Windows 2000 computer using Visual Web Developer 2005 Express, SQL Server 2005 Express and IIS.

Now I would like to put the site on my laptop which runs XP Home. I installed VWD and SQL Express on the laptop and copied the complete application folder (including the database.mdf, which is in the App_Data folder).

When I use VWD to open Default.aspx in the Solution Explorer with the ASP.NET Development Server I get redirected to /Install/Install.aspx?mode=none with the following error:

ERROR: Could not connect to database specified in connectionString for SqlDataProviderSystem.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to a failure in starting the process for the user instance.

(This is the latest variant of many types of errors I encountered.)

Thinking this might be an issue with VWD, I installed the Cassini Web Server 2.0, registered the application and clicked on the link in the Cassini Explorer to open …/Default.aspx. Now I get a simple "Server not found" page. At other times I got an "Installation failed" error from dotnetnuke.

I have read on other posts that there might be a problem with Simple File Sharing, however the link to resolve the issue applies only to XP Pro. I am using the ZoneAlarm firewall. Could it be blocking something? Your post on codeproject.com does offer a walkthrough for a new installation. but I have already done some work on this application and don't really want to start from scratch. Any ideas?
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 3, 2006 5:30:36 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi there!

You are evidently having a problem with running set of programs that does not include UltiDev Cassini, but rather microsoft Cassini. Although we are not sure how to resolve your particular issue, you could check this article to find out how to run DotNetNuke on the box that doesn't have MS Visual Studio or MS development web server.

Regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
trebitzki
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2006 7:03:33 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the quick reply!

The link you posted is exactly the one I mentioned in my original post. It shows how to set things up with a new database. I'd like to keep my existing database, as it already contains some settings for the site.

I did use the ulitdev Cassini web server, not the Microsoft one. The issue still stands. The Cassini server url returns "Server not found."

BTW is it possible to get an email message when there is a new post in this thread?

Thanks, Timm
Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 4, 2006 10:50:31 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hello, Timm.

Sorry we misunderstood you. Could you please send us your DNN web.config via email?

Regarding receving email notifications, please use the Options link at the top right corner of the topic title table. There select Watch This Topic from the menu to receive email notifications.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 13, 2006 11:51:56 PM(UTC)
Groups:

I try to run a DNN VERSION 3.2.2 installation on Cassini but it don't work correctly. In start default.aspx it enter in a infinite loop and the browser don't replay.

Perhaps I have made some mistakes ...

SQL Server DB and User are OK. The Installation of DNN is a copy-paste of a right installation of DNN.

Thank you.
Ultidev Team
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 14, 2006 8:38:36 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi there!

Unfortunately we didn't have a chance to test UltiDev Cassini and DotNetNuke 3.x. It would be great if community members shared their experiences of running DNN under UltiDev Cassini Web Server 1.1.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 14, 2006 3:30:38 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Thanks for swift interested.

I try with Cassini 2.0 over an DNN4 installation.

The result is the same: A loop on the follow response.

<html><head><title>Object moved</title></head><body>
<h2>Object moved to <a href="http://amilo:25953/">here</a>.</h2>
</body></html>

I am afraid that my HTTPalias in portalalias table to be wrong.

My current value is amilo:25953 (amilo is the name of my pc)

Thanks in advance.

Alessio
Ultidev Team
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 14, 2006 6:29:33 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi, Alessio.

We'll take a look at the problem within next couple of days and will post the reply in this thread.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Ultidev Team
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 14, 2006 8:21:29 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Alesio,

We found something that may be related to the issue you are describing. Once DNN is extracted from the ZIP file, web.config is updated and database is created, the first HTTP request to DNN initiates DNN's setup. We found that if the connection between browser and DNN application is broken when DNN is setting itself up, it may lead to partial/broken setup of DNN. That is probably not the best design decision on DNN's part as it will require re-creating of the database and re-deploying DNN application files from scratch. One of the features introduced in Cassini Release Candidate 1 is keeping Cassini applications in the memory for faster first page response. To do that Cassini periodically sends and promptly aborts the requests to applications. This means that if DNN is registered with Cassini Explorer and "Always keep application in memory..." check box left checked, you may get all sorts of errors caused by incomplete DNN configuration when you point browser to DNN.

To work around the issue, please uncheck "Always keep application in memory..." check box when registering DNN with Cassini. We have updated first two screenshots in Part II of our Codeproject article to reflect that RC1 version change. After DNN successfully confiigured itself you may edit DNN application's configuration again to check the "Always keep application in memory..." check box to ensure quick application response.

If you are going to try this approach you most likely will need to delete DNN database from SQL Server, and remove all DNN files from C:\DNN folder and unpack them again from the downloaded DNN ZIP file. Please let us know how it goes if you decide to try it.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 14, 2006 10:42:24 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Thank you for help me.

I will try your roadmap today.

But my objective is run with Ultidev Cassini an existing installation of DNN, already initializated. I want a local copy of the production site in the WinXP home PC, eqipment of the vendor staff.

However i will post again today ...

Alessio
#11 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2006 5:15:00 AM(UTC)
Groups:

I read your post and Isee somethings about the issue.

On the right DNN installation Cassini 2.0 DNN4 works with the follow procedure:

- Register in Cassini 2.0 with check "Always keep application in memory to improve first page response time" NOT CHECKED

- HTTPAlias on Portalalias table set with localhost:nnnnn in first position in the table.

- Run the WEB Application but receive 302 errors

- Edit Cassini 2.0 configuration and check "Always keep application in memory to improve first page response time"

- Run the web application again.

- It's works!

The same procedure on Cassini 1.1 don't work because when check the flag I receive an error on the url "http://localhost:7756/ApplicationDetails.aspx?AppID=d38fd8dc-847c-49cc-959c-cf9b9a4300ba" and DNN don't work (302 errors).

I have installed both Cassini web servers.

Alessio

Ultidev Team
#12 Posted : Monday, May 15, 2006 5:23:06 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Alessio,

we'll take a look at DNN configuration data, but since DNN apparently stores URL information in its configuration files/tables, it means porting existing DNN installation from IIS to Cassini will require fiddling with those settings manually. We'll post our findings.

Best wishes,
UltiDev Team.
trebitzki
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2006 4:07:39 AM(UTC)

Hello again,

I just checked back here for news on my thread - I hadn't received email notice as new posts came in.

You asked for the web.config on my system. Your contact form wouldn't allow me to send the file as text. After submitting my message I got an error screen "Server Error in '/' Application." So now I'm hoping I can send it here...

web.config
==============================
MODERATOR: web.config file content has been saved by support team and removed to prevent false hits by search engines.
==============================

I'm running dotnetnuke v. 4.03 with vwd and sql express on xp home. I'm using the ultidev cassini web server v. 2.0 rc1.

I've set the file permissions on the website folder and contents for the aspnet account (can only be done by restarting in safe mode), giving it full control.

The internal web browser of vwd express shows "can't connect to database" or "server not found." The cassini web server just returns "server not found."

I've tried turning off "Always keep application in memory" - no changes.

The website folder - as is - works fine on my Windows 2000 box with IIS.

Can you help me out with this??

Thanks, Timm
Ultidev Team
#14 Posted : Thursday, May 25, 2006 5:35:50 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hello, Timm.

Do you use SQLExpress or re regular SQL 2005 on the box that has problem running DNN under Cassini?

Thank you,
UltiDev Team.
trebitzki
#15 Posted : Monday, May 29, 2006 1:59:20 PM(UTC)

Again, on the problem machine I am running DNN v. 4.03 on a laptop with XP Home, Visual Web Developer 2005 Express, SQL Server 2005 Express. The database is in the App_Data folder.

The ONLY difference to the machine on which DNN works is the OS is Windows 2000 with IIS 5.0. The database is identical.

On the Win2K box the internal web browser of VWD also fails to pull up the dnn site.

Timm
trebitzki
#16 Posted : Thursday, June 8, 2006 2:23:03 AM(UTC)

Hello UltiDev people,

It's been a while since my last post on May 30. My question has not been answered. When can I expect a reply?

Thanks, Timm
Ultidev Team
#17 Posted : Thursday, June 8, 2006 5:38:43 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hello, Timm.

With the push to get the release version of Cassini out of the door ASAP, we were unable to process all issues right away.
To update you on our progress: we looked into the web.config you provided and we see that there may be a SQL user mismatch that causes the connection refusal, because IIS processes usually run under "NETWORK SERVICE" or "ASPNET account, depending on Windows version, while Cassini runs under "LOCAL SYSTEM" by default. This clearly can create issues with SQL integrated auth. But as we are very busy with regressing last builds of Cassini, we didn't get to resolving the issue. It will take us about a week to release new version of Cassini. After that we should be able to tackle the issue you submitted. If anyone wants to try finding the answer, here's hint where to look:
- Change Cassini service's account to "ASPNET" and/or "NETWORK SERVICE" and see if DNN passes the phase where it can't connect to the DB;
- If it does, create another login in the SQL Express matching "LOCAL SYSTEM" account and map appropriate DNN DB user to the login;
That is what we are going to try once Cassini release is behind us.

All the best,
People of UltiDev.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed