Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Cassini service starts and stops immediately
3cx
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 6, 2010 11:05:45 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi

We are having a problem with the Cassini web service where on some installations (rare occasions too) the service tries to start but stops immediately.

event viewer does not give any interesting information.

What we recommend to our clients at that point, whenever this occurs is to download and install the actual webserver UltiDev Cassini Web Server for Visual Studio 2005 (v. 2.0.8), and after this is done, the service we install works properly - It starts and remains started.

Any ideas why this could occur?

Could there be some missing components that we are not adding. How can I troubleshoot a problem like this?

Thanks and regards

nicky

Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:35:15 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi, Nicky.

Cassini Server service installed by your app and installed using our downloaded package are identical. There could potentially be differences during an installation, mostly on Vista and Windows 7, but once installed, the services should behave in exactly the same manner. It's very puzzling that installing from our package makes a difference. Do you see this problem limited to Vista/Win7 by any chance, or you also see this on XP? Also, do you recommend your customers to uninstall UltiDev Cassini before re-installing it from downloaded package?

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
3cx
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:50:56 AM(UTC)

Hi

It also happens on XP. At the moment for example, I have a machine where Cassini does not start on XP. I am leaving this machine in this state just in case I will need it because it is rare, but it happens.
I have also had problems on Server 2003 Operating systems.

How can I debug this? Event viewer shows me nothing on this machine.

I do not tell the customers to remove the original Cassini service that we package in our installation. I just tell them to download and install your webserver from Ultidev website. probably this install might add some Dll's or files that are missing? making our Cassini service start with no problems. This was my reasoning.

Then after they have download this, they are able to go to Our Cassini service instance and they are able to start it. After this step, the service starts and remains started, thanks to the Ultidev package.

This is the list of components we install:

1 - UltiDevCassinWebServer2.exe
2 - UltiDevCassinWebServer2a.exe
3 - UltiDevCassiniHttpRequestProcessor2.0.dll -- we add this dll to windows assembly folder
4 - UltiDevCassiniServerConfiguration.dll
5 - Interop.IWshRuntimeLibrary.dll
6 - Interop.NetFwTypeLib.dll
7 - UltiDevCassinWebServer2a.InstallState
8 - UltiDevCassinWebServer2a.exe.config
9 - CassiniMetabase.xml -- in Application data folder

* Cassini Service runs under Local System account

Thanks for your quick update on this.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Nicky

Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:16:24 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Nicky,

At this point the most important question is how is UltiDev Cassini packaged with your application? Do you include original Cassini service and Explorer MSIs (for example, Cassini Visual Studio setup project prerequisite does that) into your product's installation package, or you have created your own package out of Cassini files? The easiest way to tell is to look at Add/Remove Programs of the Administrative Tools and see whether you have "UltiDev Cassini Web Server for ASP.NET 2.0" entry there.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.

Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
3cx
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2010 10:56:24 PM(UTC)

Hi thanks for your answers

No, we don't include original Cassini service and explorer MSI, we include the files and the service through our own package.

What are you thinking? I am open to any suggestions. You think I should include your own msi and embed it in ours?
Ultidev Team
#6 Posted : Friday, January 8, 2010 4:49:54 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Nicky,

There is apparently some kind of problem with the way how you install Cassini. We are unable to troubleshoot installer that we have not created. By all means, please include UltiDev Cassini installer in its original package. Not only you will get more reliable and supportable web server component, but you will also avoid many other issues: from making it impossible for users to properly upgrade to the future newer version of Cassini if they install another Cassini-based product, to legal problems, like possible copyright, trademark and license agreement violations.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 18, 2018 3:23:49 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Message was deleted by a Moderator.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed