Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

setting port
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 16, 2006 1:23:33 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Code:
cassiniserver2 /run "C:\Program Files\UltiDev\Cassini ASP.NET 2.0 Server\PublicHTTP" [8080]

i want to start it on port 8080 but i just get an error, what am i doing wrong?
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 16, 2006 7:07:42 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi!

It would be like this:
Code:
CassiniServer2.exe /run "C:\Program Files\UltiDev\Cassini ASP.NET 2.0 Server\PublicHTTP" Default.aspx 8080

Of course if a startup page should be other than Default.aspx, you will need to replace Default.aspx in the command line with the actual start page name. Also, folders with your applications don't have to be under "Cassini ASP.NET 2.0 Server" folder - they can be anywhere on the file system.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 16, 2006 11:41:26 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Thanks, i can finally do some serving :)
Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Friday, March 17, 2006 4:53:38 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Thank you for using UltiDev Cassini!

Enjoy!
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
LeePJr
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2006 9:46:19 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Using the information in this thread I "started" my website on port 80. Unfortunetly, if I goto my laptop or have someone try and access the website using my IP address, they are unable to get through. Upon checking my router log, the appropriate ports are open. This leads me to believe I am missing a step with cassini. This would be my first self-served website. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

To make this even more complicated I would like to be able to "host" two seperate websites.

Thank you,
Lee
Ultidev Team
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2006 10:35:31 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hello, Lee.

First issue, the DNN not being available over internet, should be relatively minor. As you know, DNN saves its own URLs in its configuration tables/files during DNN's first run. It redirects to those saved URLs. If you called DNN for the first time by http://localhost:1234/, DNN may save 'locahost' in its configuration and redirect your browser to localhost or local IP address (like 192.168.0.123) even when you access it over internet. We really think DNN designers didn't do this part right yet. So to fix the problem we suggest you re-installing DNN, configure it to run on port 80, configure your router, and then access DNN for the first time from outside the firewall, over Internet. That should make DNN save correct hostname/IP address.

Another issue to conside is security. Despite we like Cassini a lot, it was not designed to be secure the way enterprise web servers are. First of all, Cassini service by default is running under powerful Local System account. After you configured DNN, you will need to change Cassini servce's security context to what IIS notmally runs under: to ASPNET account on Windows XP, and to Network Service on Windows 2003. If you don't do that, then if a hacker succeeds in hacking DNN and executing his code under Local System - it means a nearly complete control over the box. To change Cassini service's identity, go to Coontrol Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services. Find "Cassini ASP.NET 2.0 Server" service, bring up its properties, switch to Log On tab, check "This account" and select either Network Service, or ASPNET as an account.

To run two DNN sites, they would have to run on two different ports. So to be available from internet you will need to configure your router to forward not only port 80, but also another port for the second site. UltiDev meanwhile is working on the service that will allow accessing local intranet applications on Internet in a secure manner without having to configure routers, certificates or ports. Stay tuned.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Ultidev Team
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 17, 2006 10:46:23 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Lee,

FYI: you can specify port 80 for your application using Cassini Explorer. You don't have to use command-line version of the Cassini to set the port.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 3, 2006 5:00:38 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Hello,

I have similar problem. I tried to follow your suggestion to recreate DNN and access first via internet.
Alothough it correctly installs DNN I can still not access it.
When I check the portal setting I can see that the only adress that is listed is again localhost. (I used port 80 in the webserver)

So when I now access it externally the adress returned is everytime localhost and subsequently i get an error as it looks at localhost on the external pc.

I tried to add the alias in DNN but also did does not help, it keeps redirecting to localhost.

any idea ?

Kind Regards,
Otterlo
Ultidev Team
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 3, 2006 8:01:34 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hello, Otterlo.

Unfortunately we will not be able to resolve this as we don't know much about DNN's internal logic. You may ask DNN community about localhost being stored as a URL problem. Another thing to try is to compare DNN's brhavior in Cassini and IIS. If they are different, we may need to do something on our side. The only current known difference between ASP.NET behavior in Cassini and IIS (besides server-specific server variables) is that in Cassini 1.1 RC1 version and earlier MapPath() returns result that lacks trailish slashes. Otherwise ASP.NET works in exactly the same way in both servers. Cassini 2.0 does not have the problem of MapPath(). Please let us know if you find out something or if be of any help.

Regards,
UltiDev Team.
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 3, 2006 12:08:48 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback, i will continue to investigate.
the only obvious difference I can see why it works on IIS and not with cassini is probably because of the virtual directory.
I have tested it with vrtual directory and that works fine. With port redirection it seems not to be working.

If i find out more details I will post it here

Kind Regards,
Mark
Ultidev Team
#11 Posted : Saturday, June 3, 2006 12:21:47 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Thanks, Mark.

It's a valuable information for DNN users to know that DNN may behave differently when it's in a virtual folder vs. web server root.

We wonder if DNN people could try deploying the DNN into IIS site root. Then run DNN installation from outside the firewall and compare whether the DNN will stumble and have its URLs based on localhost.

Thanks again,
UltiDev Team.
#12 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2006 9:50:33 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi,

I also tried this. I setup the DNN site into IIS root and installed from outside my firewall and it worked OK.
Checked several functions and no problem.
I will post a question with DNN to see if more information is available to see if more users experience the same using DNN in combination with Cassini.

Kind Regards,
Mark
Ultidev Team
#13 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2006 9:55:29 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Thanks, Mark.

We will try to setup DNN 4.x.x on Cassini 2.0 and run it by machine name for the first time instead of localhost and see what will happen.

Regards,
UltiDev Team.
#14 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2006 10:33:03 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi,

Just when I was about to post at DNN i browsed trough similar posts again and I came across the following DNN item : Turn of using friendly URLS. This was suggested for someone having a similar localhost redirect problem under ISS.

This works ! It is not working all fine yet, some dopostback commands require me to to refresh the screen manually but I progressed a step.
I will try to add the site to trusted site in my IE browser and change some settings with Cookies, to see if it helps.

I sugges there is no further need to setup a machine as you suggested, it seems to be related to DNN settings rather then Cassini

Thanks again for your help.

Kind Regards,
Mark
Ultidev Team
#15 Posted : Monday, June 5, 2006 10:47:53 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Thanks, Mark!

Once you're done, could you please post here (and may be at CodeProject) the detailed list of steps that will make DNN work on Cassini when DNN accessed by addresses other than 'localhost'?

Thank you,
UltiDev Team.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed