Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

HttpVPN and/or Internet hosting using Cassini
glenharvy
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 17, 2008 1:26:28 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi,

First of all, thanks for a great utility.

Like many others I guess, I am in need of a simple web server that will serve up pages that are neither complex nor contain graphics etc. This server will run on machines with an adsl connection and won't have any IT department to support it. It needs to be deployed and configured with no user input apart from some simple instructions that no internet/IT person will need to explain to the consumer. The consumer will only have minimal computer expertise. The Cassini Explorer can be considered as to complicated for my target audience (although it is in fact very simple and well designed to me).

UltDev Cassini seems to foot the bill BUT of course will be exposed to the internet.

So when will HttpVPN become available. It seems already 12 months overdue and without any further updates on timetable etc on the main website I must assume more pressing work has come along. This semes a shame to me as the product and UlitDev Cassini appear to me to be excellent tools that no one will be able to do without.

Assuming HttpVPN is not being released tomorrow, I need to address the issues raised in the FAQ Sticky at http://ultidev.com/Forum...t.aspx?g=posts&t=78 .

These all seem trivial to me providing I am the one at the PC - I need to include all these steps in my setup/install package.

I haven't had the chance to fully explore the documentation dealing with this topic but will assume that there are no code examples (esp. in C#) that will assist me.

I am hoping this is not a case of re-inventing the wheel and bearing that in mind, could someone be kind enough to share their code/experiences with securing UltiDev Cassini. I would be eternally gratefull and I am sure would many others that have discovered this little gem.

Thank you in advance.
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Monday, August 18, 2008 5:38:31 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Glen,

Unfortunately we do not have code samples in our documentation showing how to execute steps requiring to lock down UltiDev Cassini. Check ServiceController class in .NET for windows service manipulations, and there are methods in MS Build .NET API allowing easy application of DACLs to files and folders.

When you lock down Cassini by writing your own code, you need to be sure that the machine hosting your application is not going to be used by other UltiDev Cassini applications, which may have an expectation of running under "Local System" account.

HttpVPN is not that far away. It is already being tested by a few ISVs with 100+ of HttpVPN Proxies deployed. We will release some major HttpVPN Portal upgrade withing weeks. One feature that is still missing is that HttpVPN Proxy is not yet made redistributable. We will get to it as soon as Portal upgrade is released. If you (all of you, devs) are interested in checking out HttpVPN and can sign NDA, please contact us by email.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 8, 2016 3:03:06 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Message was deleted by a Moderator.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed