Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

CPU USAGE stays at 99%
ebz
#1 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2007 4:02:30 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi,

I have a ASPX website running on a Webserver, which makes a call to a Webservice on a Windows XP OS with Cassini for ASP.NET 2.0 installed.

Problem:
When i access the Webservice once, the CPU Usage on the Windows XP shows me 50%.
The 2nd time i access the Webservice the CPU Usage goes up to 99% and stays at 99% although i am done using the Webservice.

I have no idea what Cassini is still working on and i can't shut it down. When i try restarting Cassini, it tells me that it cannot be shut down at its current state.

So my CPU is running at 99% doing nothing or atleast doing something i have no clue about.
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Friday, September 28, 2007 11:53:51 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi there!

Please check whether your web app is registered with Cassini with "Keep application in memory" checkbox checked. If so, please uncheck it and see if that helps. When checked, it makes Cassini send a request to the default document on a regular basis to keep application in memory. If by chance your default page executes heavy logic, you may see 99%.

Other than that, any ASP.NET application running under Cassini may cause high CPU utilization, depending wjat it does. Cassini on its own is very unlikely to cause the issue. You may test that by unregistering all applications and see if accessing Cassini Explorer causes the same CPU usage. If not, it's more likely that app itself causes the problem.

Please let us know what you found.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
ebz
#3 Posted : Monday, October 1, 2007 12:49:54 AM(UTC)

I've unchecked the "keep application in memory", but it had no effect to the Usage of the CPU. It still runs at 99% after 2 calls to the webservice.
I only have 1 Webservice which is registered and called via Cassini.

These are the only lines in my code that call the webservice:

i've initialzized the Service with a Timeout of 4secs.

myService.Timeout = 4000;

private void GetTerminalData(string ID, bool view, int timespan)
{

try
{

dsTerminalData = myService.GetData(ID, view, timespan);
}

}

The Webservice being accessed only returns a Dataset with 47 columns and 1 Row.

Is there anything i've left out or forgot to do?

Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Monday, October 1, 2007 9:09:23 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi there!

Nothing in your code snippet looks suspicious. Would it possible for you to debug your app using Cassini? If you can reproduce the behavior in the debugger, you should have no trouble finding out whether it's your application or Cassini itself pegging the CPU.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
ebz
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2007 1:06:32 AM(UTC)

HI!

I finally figured out what was wrong! I kept searching and Debugging my webservice, but the only thing that was causing the Problem was assigning the wrong PORT number, which kept blocking the requests from client to server and the other way around. So on both ends they were waiting for a reply from one another.

Ultidev Team
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2007 4:31:20 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Super! Thank you for letting us know.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed