Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

It is possible to use Cassini without installation, but CassiniMetabase.xml
alexcool
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2007 4:09:00 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi everybody and espessially developers of Cassini. It it very interesting Product, but I have some questions - requirements.

First of all - it is very easy to make Cassini work without installation, even without placing UltiDevCassiniHttpRequestProcessor2.0.dll in CAG.
You need:
0) to get all files you can run Cassini installer, after installation copy all files (do not forget UltiDevCassiniHttpRequestProcessor2.0.dll from GAC and CassiniMetabase.xml from Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\UltiDev\Cassini) and finally uninstall it.

1) Place Cassini Server Directory where ever you want.
2) Run InstallUtil UltiDevCassinWebServer2a.exe from this folder - this will install Windows Service
3) Either register UltiDevCassiniHttpRequestProcessor2.0.dll in GAC (gacutil.exe) or simply copy UltiDevCassiniHttpRequestProcessor2.0.dll to BIN folder of any ASP.NET application (Web Service), you plan to host with Cassini - GAC no need
4) Configure CassiniMetabase.xml

everything works fine, but, developers, can why should I place CassiniMetabase.xml always in Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\UltiDev\Cassini, and there is no any possibility to place for Example in Cassini Server root directory???

The Policy of my client is - no files beyond our application folder.

a) Please can you make possible to put this Metabase in Cassini root or make settings to point on this file.

b) It is very needed to make Virtual Directories. I have an Application, which consists of several Web Services, each of them I would place in a different Virtual Dir. The aim is - to host all of them on the same Port.

Thanks!!!
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2007 5:29:11 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Thanks you!
We'll try to verify steps in the next few days, but assuming they work - great job!

Unfortunately we won't be able to accommodate every possible policy of end users. We think we've put metabase file to the most appropriate place - in the Application Data folder.

It may not be feasible to put metabase file in the Cassini root - Cassini for ASP.NET 1.1 and 2.0 both need to know about the location. Also, future versions of Cassini may have a different location altogether and will still have to know whether the metabase is.

Virtual Directories is a popular request. We do have it on the wishlist, although may be not a top priority.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
dr
#3 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2007 5:16:43 AM(UTC)

Another possibility to avoid GAC is to configure UltiDevCassinWebServer2a.exe.config and web.config of every ASP.NET Application with following settings placed inside <configuration>:
<runtime>
<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity name="UltiDevCassiniHttpRequestProcessor2.0"
publicKeyToken="cc16caed94880aaa"
culture="neutral" />
<codeBase version="2.1.4.3"
href="C:\Cassini\Server\UltiDevCassiniHttpRequestProcessor2.0.dll"/>
</dependentAssembly>
</assemblyBinding>
</runtime>

But really, why not to have optional setting inside UltiDevCassinWebServer2a.exe.config with reference to CassiniMetabase.xml? If setting is not there then use default location. This approach would be much more flexible.
rdhatch
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2007 10:45:38 PM(UTC)

Ultidev Team -

Thank you so much for your software! For us, ASP.NET is a much better solution on the desktop than Windows Forms.

I, too, would like a non-installation option for Cassini. Our ASP.NET app should open just as if our users were opening a Windows app (by simply double-clicking on an .exe file). No setup. It should look something like this:

* 1.) Opening Application. To open the app, I want my users to simply double-click "StartMyProgram.exe" (which I've created) on the shared network drive. This executable will startup Cassini on their local machine & open up their browser to the ASP.NET app automatically.

* 2.) Deploying Updates. When I have an update to Deploy - I don't want anyone to reinstall anything. To Deploy the new version, I simply want to copy the new files to the shared network drive - and simply have my users reopen "StartMyProgram.exe".

Is this possible? And if so, how can we do it?

I look forward your reply. Thank you very much,

Ryan D. Hatch
Ultidev Team
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2007 5:12:01 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Ryan,

Thank you for the high mark you give to our little web server! We do appreciate it.

Although current version of UltiDev does not support running without installation, it is very smart of you to send us feedback and give us suggestions, because new functionality of every new release of the product is driven in large part by our users' requests.

All, make yourself heard! Tell us what you want. Also, to make it easier on our marketing, tell us how UltiDev can benefit from the feature you are requesting:-)

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
rdhatch
#6 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2007 12:43:48 PM(UTC)

UltiDev Team -

Marketing! I love marketing. ; )

Here is a brief marketing clip for you (Non-Installation Option):

* Cassini Desktop Adapter - Rival Windows Forms.

"Using Cassini, businesses can leverage their existing ASP.NET application investment on the desktop - without rewriting any code. They can simply wrap their ASP.NET application within a Cassini Desktop Adapter." (Like that name? I just came up with it!). Nobody wants to invest in an application that's stuck in either the desktop world or the web world. You want one application - that can be used anywhere. That's why Cassini will be our savior. Cassini is in the same business as: VisualWebGui.com and GOA WinForms. Except - they're porting applications from Windows.Forms to the web. Cassini goes from web to Windows.Forms.

Maybe developers can download the Cassini Desktop Adapter - A package which includes: non-installation Cassini Web Server DLL and a VS2005 Cassini Desktop Adapter Template. The Cassini Desktop Adapter Template (a simple Windows.Form Project - with a single web browser control) would include source code to automatically start the Cassini Web Server (without needing GAC registration), open a Cassini URL in the web browser control, and stop the Cassini Web Server when the Form is closed (for a desktop app - there's no reason to keep the web server running). Additionally, not all users have Administrator rights on their PCs (for GAC registration). With a non-installation option, Cassini can be used without changing any desktop security settings.

From a business perspective, I see two markets for Cassini:

* Portable Web Server
Perfect fit for HTTPVPN... people that want other people to access the web server. Cassini is Always On.

* Desktop Application
For those wanting to use Web applications on the Desktop. Only the desktop user will be accessing the web application - Cassini is On-Demand, started only when the local user opens our application. Here is what I envision: http://www.konect.com/Ry...yDesktopApplication.jpg Web app or Desktop app? It's a web app, running on the Desktop using the Cassini Desktop Adapter.

Please reply with your comments. I look forward to your reply. Thank you,

Ryan D. Hatch
Ultidev Team
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2007 6:16:49 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Well done, Ryan! :-) We have not expected anything like that. Do you do marketing for living? You sounded ironic - "Marketing! I love marketing. ; )", but what are you going to do! It's like shaving - most people hate doing it, but have to do it anyway.

Now, to the point. The internal debate we are having regarding this feature is how to capitalize on it. For installed Cassini we know how to do it - installed web apps, in order to be accessible on the web via HttpVPN (our source of revenue) - will need a redistributable web server. Non-installed web apps don't need to be accessible on Internet. So, so far the consensus is that we can do it if it's easy to do and hope to reap image benefits, and from reading this thread we seem to have good user input on how to do it. Especially now, with your eloquent pitch, you really have us guilt-tripping :-), so we may take a stab at this when we start next dev cycle of Cassini. We will attempt eliminating a need for GAC-registration of request processor, and if it ends up working, this feature may get implemented in the next version of Cassini.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
rdhatch
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2007 7:28:02 PM(UTC)

UltiDev Team -

Thank you for your kind words!

This is simple. If a non-installation version isn't in your revenue stream, and us customers are asking for it - make it a revenue stream. We'd be willing to pay for the non-installation version of Cassini. Now you can capitalize.

My preference would be a simple dual-license (similar to HTTPVPN's):
* free developer license (so we can all test it out - and then tell our friends to check it out)
* commercial license (per developer, who uses non-installation Cassini for commercial purposes)

Again, Thank you for your time. I've enjoyed our conversations very much - and look forward to Cassini's next release.

Meanwhile, please feel free to contact me directly. I'd be happy to be a beta tester.

Ryan D. Hatch
ryan [.] hatch konect [.] com
rdhatch
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2007 9:04:59 AM(UTC)

UltiDev Team & Fellow Developers -

I can confirm. I have Cassini Web Server running without installation, without GAC registration. More info to follow...

I have yet to verify administrative privileges requirement. Can anyone help me on Admin Privileges?

Thanks!

Ryan D. Hatch
Tintera
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2008 3:50:00 AM(UTC)

I would like to create a demo CD for our asp.net application. This is also a use case for non-installation cassini.
The CD should not left anything on the client's computer, but one small datafile in temp directory.

ok. I offer help testing the non-installation version.
The thread is almost year old. Any development happened since then?
rdhatch
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2008 3:54:29 AM(UTC)

Tintera,

We have had this working for over a year now. Please view this thread:

http://www.ultidev.com/Forums/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=292

Good luck!

Ryan
Ultidev Team
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2008 4:59:13 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

All,

Please keep in mind that Vista, unlike XP, is not terribly friendly towards applications launched from external media, like CDs or USB drives. It has to do with tight security model of Vista, and the issue is not Cassini-specific.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed