Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

UltiDev Cassini: Web Server Explorer instalation fails - Port conflict
Mountaineer
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2007 1:12:17 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi -
I am on xp home edition and using Visual Studio.net 3000. When attempting to download UltiDev Cassini, things didnt look right. On the Windows Event log I found that the .NET and Visual Studio products configured successfully but that the Windows Explorer config failed. The long version said something to this effect:
"Cannot assign port 7756 to application UltiDev cassini Web Server Explorer. port is in use at
CassiniConfigurationMetabaseRegisterApplication(ApplicationEntry,Bool.....)
at CassiniExplorerInstallerInstall(iDictionary State Server) .." and so on.

I have gone through several reiterations of downloading and uninstalling cassini. I first triied generic cassini, and deleted it (I didnt find it in the uninstall software). I also downloaded and uninstalled UltiDev cassini and then decided to try it again. Somewhere in all this, I may have left some remnants behind that are trying to use good ole port 7756. Do any of those processes look familiar? Help.
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2007 4:58:06 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi,

First suggestion we have is once all UltiDev Cassini components are uninstalled, please run "netstat -na | more" command command window to see if 7756 is truly taken. Please let us know what you see.

We have a few question to help us clarify a way to help you troubleshooting this issue.

- Do you still have a service names "UltiDev Cassini..." registered among services?
- Please uninstall any components from "Add/Remove Programs" that named "UltiDev Cassini..." and reboot the machine.
- After this, please clean up your Windows Event Log (Application) and run installation again.
- After installation, refresh Windows Event Log view and check for errors. If you found one or two, please post them here. If there are more than a couple error entries, please export Windows Event Log as an EVT file and contact us via email so we could respond with an email address where you could send the EVT file for analysis.

A quick question: as far as we know, Visual Studio.NET 3000 does not exist. Do you mean 2003? If so, you probably are trying to use it along with Windows XP Home and our Cassini wot develop ASP.NET applications and this way work around the IIS requirement of Visual Studio 2003. If this is the case, the bad news is that VS.NET 2003 always requires IIS. You can use UltiDev Cassini on XP home to RUN ASP.NET applications, but VS.NET 2003 requires IIS. Visual Studio 2005, including its free Express editions, does not require IIS and can be used with UltiDev Cassini or with its own internal web server to develop ASP.NET applications on Windows XP Home.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
Mountaineer
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2007 6:24:35 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi -- Wow! that was quick. I had just gone back to see if I could change my "3000" error to "2003", and there was your reply. You gave me a lot of things to study further.
If I understand you correctly I need to go to Visual Studio 2005 (or as I call it, 5000). I think I might be able to afford the Express version. If you have a site for it, I would appreciate it greatly, as I do the help you have given me already. In the meantime I will clean up my mess as you instructed.
Thanks again
Regards Mountaineer.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed