Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DNN 4.5.3 Installation
RonW
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 7, 2007 9:10:52 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi:

I used UltiDev Cassini as the server to install DNN 4.5.3 on a PC running XPHome. I followed the last comments from a previous article on Code Project. That is I simply installed Cassini and ran it on the DNN extracted file without changing anything, including the web config.

The install completed, saying successful, and brought up the default DNN home page. But clicking on Login or Register just brings up a page not found error.

Anybody know what's wrong?

Thanks

RonW
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2007 6:33:16 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Ron,

We downloaded and ran DNN 4.5.3, and unfortunately we had the same problem. DNN changes from release to release quite a bit, and since DNN devs don't test with our UltiDev Cassini each DNN release brings different compatibility level with our web server. If you communicate to DNN folks that you have interest in DNN supporting UltiDev Cassini then hopefully they start paying more attention to non-IIS use cases.

Regarding DNN 4.5.3 we've noticed that just to get through the Install Wizard we had to comment out UrlRewrite and UsersOnline modules from the <httpModules> section of the web.config, because those modules are working under assumption that only certain type of requests will be directed through those modules (which is only true for IIS in its default configuration) and therefore fail because in Cassini all modules get all requests (IIS also can be configured to route all requests to ASP.NET, which will lead to the same problem in IIS). Those modules attempt DB access on each request that reaches these modules (we wonder if that is a performance concern on its own), and since in the beginning of the Install Wizard database is not configured, most of the requests fail.

We are afraid that the bottom line is that DNN 4.5.3 is too much trouble to use with UltiDev Cassini. Consider using other versions of DNN and let DNN folks know that you are interested in DNN running in UltiDev Cassini.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
RonW
#3 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2007 4:36:55 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Thanks for your comments. I must admit I am an end user and don't know the ins and outs of DNN, ASP.Net, or IIS to figure out the comments you replied. But I understand that DNN 4.5.3 won't work on Cassini at the moment.

I do know that DNN is very concerned with performance so maybe that is why they do what they do. In fact that is why I want to run DNN 4.5.3. Now I use an earlier version and it has problems with some modules and caching.

But I greatly appreciate your attempt to see what the problems were. I did not experience any problem during the install like you did, but maybe that is a function of my OS which is XPHome. That doesn't come with IIS installed and so Cassini seemed to be a great alternative. I am not even sure IIS can be installed on XPHome (at least not the XPPro version of it).

Thanks again for your help.
Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2007 7:20:25 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Ron,

Thank you for trying our software. As far as XP and IIS goes, XP Home does not have IIS, and XP Pro and Mediacenter do have it as a component that can be installed. To run DNN on XP Home - Cassini is pretty much the only option. Unfortunately DNN changes is too frequent to chase.

All the best,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed