Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Launching UltDev Web Server Pro in Hidden/Silent Mode
merlewilliams83
#1 Posted : Monday, June 9, 2014 11:58:30 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I have a need to launch UWS from a compiled button in a hidden/silent mode so that the user never gets to see a console or the settings. The application will run full-screen, but after the command runs and before the app launches, or in the case of dual monitors, the user might still see a console and settings if they appear. The solution should be as-needed, launch->use->close (not running in background or persistent), so RegApp with its required AppID doesn't seem to be an option.

I have the command line for UWS.InteractiveServer.Clr2AnyCPU figured out and my app opens and runs as desired. Now I just need to know if there is a way to keep the user from ever seeing that console. Am I missing a command line switch? Is there a different .exe that I should be calling that *does* run hidden and can behave like UWS.InteractiveServer.Clr2AnyCPU?

I've looked through the forums here and on the web, but not found what I'm looking for. Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Merle
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Monday, June 9, 2014 12:53:49 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi, Merle.

It's not possible, but since UWS has to be installed before running any web app - either interactive, or registered with the service, then there is no good reason to avoid registering an application with the service. Could you please tell us why registering the applications with the service is not an option?

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
merlewilliams83
#3 Posted : Monday, June 9, 2014 3:38:53 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Thanks for the quick reply!

To answer your question:
I need to deploy a server/app solution to multiple PCs using an .msi. It must run locally on the PC and serve the app even if there is not an internet connection. I noticed that the AppID seems to be generated randomly each time the app is registered on the same PC or a new PC. Trying to re-use an old AppID doesn't properly register or launch the app using autostart. I wasn't able to find a text or registry item with the AppID stored so that I could try to discover the current one or spoof a previous registration and launch it.

I also had some kind of identity/permissions issues when using RegApp. Pages in the app that work fine through UWS.InteractiveServer.Clr2AnyCPU and get information from the Windows User Profile are looking for it in C:/Windows/ServiceProfiles/NetworkService and failing when using RegApp. I didn't write the web code, but know that the location should follow the current user and it seems like this isn't handed down the same between the two methods of publishing the app.

So to recap: I need to use an .msi to install the solution to multiple PCs, use a compiled button to register an app (if not already registered somehow) and launch the app as needed, not have the app/server available or running except when it's been launched and is in use, and not allow the user to see any consoles or settings (to protect the app as well as other users on the pc, like sandboxing). UWS.InteractiveServer.Clr2AnyCPU accomplished all of this, minus being hidden.

I apologize if I'm missing something... I'm completely new to UltiDev and page/app hosting. Please feel free to point me to the correct info.

Thanks again!

-Merle
Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Monday, June 9, 2014 8:24:09 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi, Merle.

From what you are telling us, UWS is exactly what you need. AppIDs don't get randomly generated if you register your application programmatically. In fact, we recommend that your AppID matched your MSI's UpgradeCode. This does a log of magic, including creating local desktop shortcut icon to your application.

We are pretty sure that if you spend a day or two working with our "How to make your web app redistributable" articles, you will be able to achieve what you need without going outside of UWS design envelope.

We can help you get back on track if you get lost in the walk-through, but we are pretty sure you won't need any non-standard functionality outside of UWS to achieve what you need.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
1 user thanked Ultidev Team for this useful post.
merlewilliams83 on 6/13/2014(UTC)
#5 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 2:41:37 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Message was deleted by a Moderator.
#6 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2014 2:45:10 PM(UTC)
Groups:

#7 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2014 3:01:22 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Rss Feed  Atom Feed