Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Problems with Installing Cassini UltiDev with Custom Setup.msi
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2006 10:10:28 AM(UTC)
Groups:

I followed the instructions for including Cassini with VS 2005 setup project for ASP.NET 2.0 app. When I run the installer, it is saying that :

Failed to register an application with Cassini while converting appID parameter to GUID
-> GUID should contain 32 digits with 4 dashes (xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx).

When I click OK, I then get another popup showing:

An exception occurred during the Rollback phase of the installation. This exception will be ignored and the rollback will continue. However, the machine might not fully revert to its initial state after the rollback is complete,->Failed to unregister Cassini application while calling CassiniConfiguration.Metabase.UnregisterApplication(appID) method -> There is an error in XML document (2, 121). --> Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: array, (NULL), (NULL), (NULL).

I'm using the UpgradeCode for the Setup (as suggested by the online tutorial): This is

For Install Action:

/AppID="{BD4EF6F8-DF34-4935-836C-B1E561D1DB47}"/AppLocation="[TARGETDIR]\"/AppDefaultDoc="Default.aspx"

For Rollback and Uninstall (both):

/AppID="{BD4EF6F8-DF34-4935-836C-B1E561D1DB47}"

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2006 10:14:15 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi there!

The problem is that custom action parameters need to be separated by whitespaces, like this:
/AppID="{BD4EF6F8-DF34-4935-836C-B1E561D1DB47}" /AppLocation="[TARGETDIR]\" /AppDefaultDoc="Default.aspx"
instead of
/AppID="{BD4EF6F8-DF34-4935-836C-B1E561D1DB47}"/AppLocation="[TARGETDIR]\"/AppDefaultDoc="Default.aspx"

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2006 1:27:43 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Ok, thanks. I've made the change. The error now changes:

Failed to register an application with Cassini while calling CassiniConfiguration.Metabase.RegisterApplication() method.-->There is an error in XML Parameter name: array.

when I click ok, I then get:

Error 1001. Failed to register an application with Cassini while calling CassiniConfiguration.Metabase.RegisterApplication() method. --> There is an error in XML document (2, 121). --> Value cannot be null.
Data:
0000: 7b 35 39 43 44 38 46 46 {59CD8FF
0008: 34 2d 31 33 46 41 2d 34 4-13FA-4
0010: 30 30 44 2d 39 30 39 33 00D-9093
0018: 2d 46 41 31 31 32 32 30 -FA11220
0020: 38 38 32 38 45 7d 8828E}
Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2006 7:21:03 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi!

It looks like Cassini runtime components were not installed prior to your application's installation. Please be sure to include Cassini prerequisites into your setup project, and also run Setup.exe and not just MSI, because the prerequisites reside inside the Setup.exe bootstrapper.

Please let us know if this has helped.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
#5 Posted : Friday, September 22, 2006 7:37:23 AM(UTC)
Groups:

I ran Setup.exe. It gave the same error as before. However, it did install Cassini, but when I checked the SCM it had not started. I tried starting the service manually, but then it promptly stopped. In Event Viewer, the error is:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Cassini by UltiDev
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 9/22/2006
Time: 9:26:22 AM
User: N/A
Computer: VANSERVER1
Description:
Service cannot be started. System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (2, 121). ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: array
at System.Array.Sort(Array array, IComparer comparer)
at CassiniConfiguration.Metabase.set_Applications(ApplicationEntry[] value)
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderMetabase.Read3_Metabase(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderMetabase.Read4_CassiningMetabase()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader)
at CassiniConfiguration.Metabase.Load()
at CassiniService.Service1.OnStart(String[] args)
at System.Serv...

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Windows 2003 Server is the OS. I think the installation of the website was not successful, because it could not start the cassini server service, and consequiently register the app with the web server. Hope the trace from the event viewer could shed some light. Thanks.
Ultidev Team
#6 Posted : Friday, September 22, 2006 8:10:21 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

HI there!

Actually, application can be registered with Cassini without service running - registration simply modifies the Cassini metabase file and service, if it's running, gets notified of changes and reloads applications. Service cannot start if there are no applications registered - this is what seems to be happening with this problem you are facing. When Cassini installed properly at least one application, Cassini Explorer, gets registered thus allowing service to start. We now need to find out why Cassini Explorer application is not registered with the Cassini. Usually it means Cassini Explorer was not installed for some reason. Please check Control Panel -> Add/Remove Software and see whether "UltiDev Cassini Web Server Explorer" is installed. Then please take a look at Windows Event Log - may be it has some entries related to problems during Cassini installation. If you find something that would point at the reason for Cassini Explorer not being installed, or installed incorrectly, we should be able to help you troubleshoot the issue.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
#7 Posted : Friday, September 22, 2006 9:44:40 AM(UTC)
Groups:

I believe you are right. I don't see the explorer on the target machine-only the "UltiDev Cassini Web Server for ASP.NET" entry in Add/Remove Programs. Just to ensure I'm capturing the correct message in event viewer. I uninstalled this entry and re-ran setup.exe. It prompted to install the web server, and then it loaded the installer for the web app. Before I clicked next to proceed with this second installation (for the web app), I checked event viewer, and here is the message:

Event Source: Cassini by UltiDev
Event ID: 0
Time: 11:28:24 AM
User: N/A
Description:
Service cannot be started. System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (2, 121). ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderMetabase.Read3_Metabase(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderMetabase.Read4_CassiningMetabase()
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle)
at CassiniService.Service1.OnStart(String[] args)
at System.Serv...

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I checked the following as pre-requisites in the setup project properties:

- .NET Framework 2.0
- Windows Installer 3.1
- UltiDev Cassini Web Server for ASP.NET 2.0

Ultidev Team
#8 Posted : Friday, September 22, 2006 11:34:06 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

OK, to restate the issue: UltiDev Cassini Web Server Explorer doesn't get installed along with the application it is bundled with.

If you don't see anything in the Event Log related to Cassini Explorer setup attempted and failed, would you mind trying following: in your setup project properties, in the Prerequisites dialog, switch from "Download prerequisites from the component vendor's web site"

to "Download prerequisites from the same location..." option. This will put two Cassini redistributable MSIs (along with MS Installer and .NET 2.0 Framework) into the same output folder where your Setup.exe and MSI files are. Try to install all that by running Setup.exe on the target machine and see if installation succeeds. If for some reason you can only see cassiniserver2setup.msi, but not the cassiniexplorersetup.msi in the setup project output folder, we'd like to get your Cassini package manifest - we'll get to that later if we need. If you successfully install your product when components don't need to be downloaded from Internet, we then could look at whether incomplete or corrupted version of downloaded cassiniexplorersetup.msi is cached in TEMP folder somehow, or something else happened related to getting components over to you via Web.

Regards,
UltiDev Team.
#9 Posted : Friday, September 22, 2006 12:16:53 PM(UTC)
Groups:

I had chosen the option to Download prerequisites from the same location as my application. This created the following folder structure:

- Setup\Release\dotnetfx
Containing dotnetfx.exe, instmsia.exe and WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe

- Setup\Release\UltiDev Cassini Web Server for ASP.NET 2.0
Containing cassiniexplorersetup.msi and cassiniserver2setup.msi

- Setup\Release\WindowsInstaller3_1
Containing WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe

The Root: \Setup\Release
Contains: Setup.exe, Setup.msi and the three folders listed above.

As you can see, both cassini msi's are in the cassini folder, but as far as I can tell, when I run setup.exe, it is only executing the web server .msi

I decided to manually try running each of the msi's in the UltiDev folder and found that the cassiniexplorersetup.msi was throwing an error (cassiniserver2setup.msi ran fine without problems). Perhaps that is why only the Web Server is shown in Add/Remove programs. Here is the event log:

Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event ID: 11001
Time: 2:06:47 PM
User: VANSERVER1\Administrator
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 11001 ) in Source ( MsiInstaller ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Product: UltiDev Cassini Web Server Explorer -- Error 1001. Cassini Explorer Ex:
System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (2, 121). ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Array cannot be null.
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderMetabase.Read1_Metabase(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderMetabase.Read5_CassiningMetabase()
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
at CassiniExplorer.Installer.RegisterCassiniConfigApp()
at CassiniExplorer.Installer.Install(IDictionary stateSaver) --> There is an error in XML document (2, 121). --> Array cannot be null.
Data:
0000: 7b 43 33 31 46 33 44 33 {C31F3D3
0008: 35 2d 34 46 39 45 2d 34 5-4F9E-4
0010: 35 31 46 2d 42 31 32 37 51F-B127
0018: 2d 31 35 42 42 43 42 32 -15BBCB2
0020: 36 45 38 42 44 7d 6E8BD}
Ultidev Team
#10 Posted : Friday, September 22, 2006 12:38:55 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

OK, we might have a bug here. It seems that in order to register an application, Cassini metabase file should either contain at least one entry in it, or metabase file should not exist at all. Having metabase file with no application entries causes Cassini Configuration to fail when it reads the metabase.

The good news is that situation in which Cassini metabase file gets in the state where it has no entries is very unlikely and usually involves Cassini Explorer failing to get installed and then application getting registered and unregistered with Cassini. We will fix this bug in the next release, and for now the workaround would be to simply delete the metabase file with zero application entries in it. On Windows XP and 2003 the metabase file is located at "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\UltiDev\Cassini".

After you delete the metabase file try to run your application installation. If it succeeds, uninstall your app and then revert the setup project back to using prerequisite components downloaded from the web and try to run that setup package again. Please let us know how it goes.

Regards,
UltiDev Team.

#11 Posted : Friday, September 22, 2006 1:22:38 PM(UTC)
Groups:

I uninstalled the Web server, then I deleted the metabase file, and it worked!! Right now, I'm home and the connection is pretty slow for me to change the setup and re-deploy to the target server. I;ll try the changes to the setup on Monday, but this worked. I see both Explorer and Web Server. Thanks for all the help.
Ultidev Team
#12 Posted : Friday, September 22, 2006 5:21:41 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

We're glad it worked. Thank you for helping us identify an issue.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.

hamid441
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2010 2:54:42 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi All,
I am getting a similar error when installing Ultidev WebServer:
Error 1001. Error 1001. Failed to register an application with Cassini while calling CassiniConfiguration.Metabase.RegisterApplication() method. --> The type initializer for 'System.CodeDom.Compiler.TempFileCollection' threw an exception. --> Provider type does not match registered value.

Also, deleting the metabase file did not resolve the issue, have any other ideas?
Ultidev Team
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2010 7:53:21 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi, Hamid.

Would you be willing to send us your Windows event log? If you do, please contact us via email and we'll respond from the address where to send the logs.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
StarShip Support
#15 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2010 2:05:34 PM(UTC)

I am getting a similar error when running the Cassini Web server. I tried our suggestion of deleting C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\UltiDev\Cassini\CassiniMetabase.xml and re-initializing the installer and this did not help, the installallation still fails. PLEASE HELP!!

Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event ID: 11001
Date: 3/4/2010
Time: 6:54:53 PM
User: V-TECH\XXXX
Computer: XXXX
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 11001 ) in Source ( MsiInstaller ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Product: UltiDev Cassini Web Server Explorer -- Error 1001. Cassini Explorer Ex:
System.InvalidCastException: QueryInterface for interface IWshRuntimeLibrary.IWshShell3 failed.
at IWshRuntimeLibrary.WshShellClass.CreateShortcut(String PathLink)
at CassiniExplorer.Installer.CreateProgramIcon(String targetPath, String shortcutName, String iconLocation, String description)
at CassiniExplorer.Installer.CreateShortcuts()
at CassiniExplorer.Installer.Install(IDictionary stateSaver) --> QueryInterface for interface IWshRuntimeLibrary.IWshShell3 failed., (NULL), (NULL), (NULL).
Data:
0000: 7b 34 30 32 34 37 41 41 {40247AA
0008: 43 2d 41 42 30 44 2d 34 C-AB0D-4
0010: 34 39 43 2d 38 38 32 46 49C-882F
0018: 2d 39 30 34 30 31 43 33 -90401C3
0020: 33 35 31 45 38 7d 351E8}
Ultidev Team
#16 Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2010 4:48:21 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi there!

It appears that something is wrong with Windows Script components on the machine in question. Please take a look at this post for more information.

Please let us know if this information was helpful.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
StarShip Support
#17 Posted : Friday, March 5, 2010 5:03:24 AM(UTC)

Thanks! That worked. The post was for Windows XP but I was able to download and install the 2003 Server version of the Windows Script 5.7
http://www.microsoft.com...-411d-a896-f2cd5ef21eb4

Thanks much

Andre
V-Technologies
Ultidev Team
#18 Posted : Sunday, March 7, 2010 6:49:03 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Andre,

Thank you very much for sharing the solution!

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed