Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

1 Service is disappearing
hcbph
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 9:36:12 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I'm part of tech support, not a user so I can only describe the symptoms. We have a purchased software package that includes UltiDev Webserver app, last update was received 11/2012 at which time all the vendor software was updated on the 200+ pc's including the new Ultidev version. The UltiDev install source is UltiDev.WebServer.msi showing a last modified date of 12/4/2011. The software was installed 11/2012, no other changes has been made to the pc's since last November other than the computer receives Microsoft Patches and Symantec SEP AV software updates via an automated delivery service. A majority of the workstations are autologon to the domain and the users are not admins on their pc's, there are around a dozen pc's that require user logins, but the users are also no admins to the workstions. There are 3 roles the pc's are in, all pc's in any given role have exactly the same software entitled to them. All the pc's are Windows XP SP3. At the time of the last vendor software upgrade, all functions were tested on the pc's and all were working per the vendor's report. UltiDev is only used when screens used by the vendor application are updated and pushed to all the console pc's which only happens on rare occassions, otherwise UltiDev is not used in day-to-day operations (based on what I've been told).

Sometime in the last 5 months, about 10%-20% of the pc's have had the registry entry for "UltiDev Web Server Pro" removed from the registry. The pc's occassionally are rebooted because of things like the Microsoft Patches requiring it, and the service is obviously missing, also otherwise they are devoted to application specific usage only. The services and registry entries for "UWS HiPriv Services" and "UWS LoPriv Services" are untouched, all software is still present on the pc's (only the service specific info & the one service are gone, the software is still on the pc). There are no entries in the system or application logs in the Event viewer showing any reference to UltiDev issues. There is nothing found in the AV log nor any application log relating to this or any other application. If UltiDev is uninstalled and reinstalled all 3 services are present and it works. The logs for UltiDev install do not contain anything on the missing service, it inicates it was there when installed and was confirmed during the initial setup.

This is not happening to every pc, there is no identifable pattern to the disappearance of the service, and it cannot be reproduced on demand. It happens when it happens and I've only been able to see the results 'after the fact'.

Any ideas on what might be happening and what we can do to prevent this from happening again? Vendor claims to not having seen this before and has no idea why only one service is disappearing. I have not been able to find 'anything' that even gives me the slightest lead on why it's happening, when it's happening or how it's happening other than it's gone when I check, and may or may not happen again on any given pc.
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 11:48:20 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi,

Thank you for such a detailed report of the circumstances. In the past we have not received any reports about "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\UltiDev Web Server Pro" registry key getting deleted. We do not have a theory of what may be causing this problem, but we will be looking for others reporting it. We recommend installing latest build of UWS, as they are backward compatible, but we do not believe any of the changes made to the code base have to do with the problem at hand.

Thank you again for reporting it and letting others know to watch for this problem.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
#3 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 9:45:06 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Message was deleted by a Moderator.
#4 Posted : Friday, March 30, 2018 9:46:59 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Message was deleted by a Moderator.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed