Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Cassini Desktop Adapter : Standalone Web Applications
rdhatch
#21 Posted : Tuesday, May 5, 2009 10:58:07 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I was able to get Cassini to run, with UAC turned on. It's still not ideal because it requires Administrative rights, but it does work.

Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Cmd (Right click, Run as Administrator)

Run your Cassini / batch command from there (ie, ""%cd%\Cassini\UltiDevCassinWebServer2.exe" /run "%cd%\CrystalReportsDemo" index.aspx")

Hope this helps!

Ryan
armindodias
#22 Posted : Friday, May 15, 2009 5:24:52 AM(UTC)

First of all, congratulations on this excellent piece of software!

I've came across your Cassini Desktop Adapter when searching for a stand alone asp.net server to distribute our application on cd-rom. We have a web site written in c# that runs in .NET Framework 2.0 and whe need to distribute it on cd-rom.

But i'm having problems with your software.

First, we need to run the site full screen (no browser visible, scrollbars, etc.), so i started working with the Standalone Demo.Seamless example. The problem is that Standalone Demo.Simple is need to be run first, otherwise the Seamless example doesn't run... This is not viable in our situation.

Is there any way i can resolve this? Do you have a workaround or do you already have another "upgrade" to your code that allows to do this?
rdhatch
#23 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2009 6:42:09 AM(UTC)

Hi Armindodias,

What you want to do is create a Windows application. Add UltiDevHTTPRequestProcessor.dll as a Reference to your project (found in the GAC), and import the namespace into your Main Form. Create a new Cassini instance, on an available port.

Add a Browser control to your Form, Docked to Fill. Point your Browser control to the URL: http://localhost:PORTNUMBER/YOURINDEXPAGE.aspx

Should work great - Hope this helps! Please let us know if we can help you further. Thank you -

Ryan D. Hatch

** Vista: Right now, Cassini is listening on all IP's. If you will have people running on Vista, you will have UAC security problems until Vlad releases the Localhost version of Cassini. Listening on only Localhost does not cause UAC security errors in Vista.

** How to find an available port (Courtesy of Mark, username Terricide):

private int FindPort()
{
for (int i = 49000; i < 49151; i++)
if (PortIsFree(i))
return i;
return -1;
}

private bool PortIsFree(int port)
{
TcpClient client = new TcpClient();
try
{
client.Connect("localhost", port);
return false;
}
catch
{
return true;
}
}
Ultidev Team
#24 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2009 7:35:03 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Another version of "find free port" functionality is a part of Cassini configuration API, which can be employed by adding a reference to the "C:\Program Files\UltiDev\Cassini Web Server for ASP.NET 2.0\UltiDevCassiniServerConfiguration.dll" to your project.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
jeffoi
#25 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2009 10:33:12 PM(UTC)

hello all,

Just curious about this software and I have some questions to ask. Is this UltiDev Cassini will really work without any installation happen with both Vista and XP? I am planning my website with an MS Access database to run using cd only and no installation will happen so that I can distribute website that I developed. Is it possible using this product?

Thanks & Regards,

Jeffoi
Ultidev Team
#26 Posted : Wednesday, July 22, 2009 4:27:52 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi, Jeffoi!

On XP - yes, it will work. On Vista - no, unless UAC is turned off.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
DannyT
#28 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:54:16 AM(UTC)

Howdy!

First let me thank you for the development effort on this solution!

We have a web based app deployed that's pretty typical: data management, some reporting tools, label generation, etc. (it's for asset management)

While the original spec called for "web based" the users are occasionally in situations where they don't have connectivity (either direct, or wireless), *but* need access to the application. Originally we intended just to use a custom spreadsheet but it lacked some reporting/printing capabilities and data entry control (without getting into an incredibly complex, macro driven worksheet). Then I started down the path of a standalone desktop/client framework - this was OK, except it required maintaining a completely separate codebase (and moving between the two was giving me a headache :)

Then I stumbled on your solution which would allow me to repurpose the web code, and just make a few tweaks to bundle in a different DAL/DB (I'm using SQL CE). Anyway, it's a huge time saver and keeps me in web based methodologies which are my strong suite anyway. I dynamically generate the required CE support file, wrap it up into the ZIP with the web code, and they download, unzip and run from their desktop ... awesome!

OK, enough of my life story, here's my problem:

On my dev notebook running Vista/32 the Seamless works, but the Simple does not. The simple opens the browser and points to a non responding server.

On two XP Pro machines, the Simple works, but the Seamless does not. The seamless opens the app, shows the loading panel, but never gets any further (and never times out).

The client machines for the time being will all be XP, and the simple works, so it's not a complete deal breaker. However, I do like the Seamless better because it contains the browser into a "desktoplike" experience, and removes anything that looks like a browser that might confuse the user.

Any ideas about this?

Ultidev Team
#29 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2009 3:55:20 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Danny,

We are trying to get in touch with the developer of the Cassini Adapter so he could help with it.

Best reagrds,
UltiDev Team.
DannyT
#30 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2009 4:35:16 AM(UTC)

Thanks, I appreciate it. I didn't realize he wasn't on deck here in this forum or I would've just contacted him directly via email. I also understand this is just a side project, so paying clients take precedence :)

I may be on to my own solution for this too - I've been doing some additional diagnostics - if I determine anything and think it would be helpful for the folks where, I'll post my findings!
Ultidev Team
#31 Posted : Friday, July 24, 2009 8:10:30 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Thank you!

By all means please share your solutions.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
DannyT
#32 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2009 5:29:15 AM(UTC)

OK, this is pretty odd behavior!

To recap, Seamless works on Vista (but not simple). Our target platform is actually XP where the Simple works but the Seamless does not.

Initially even the first page just hung (it does a fetch for some DB info, gens up a AuthTicket and then redirects). That I manage to resolve: IE on my Vista machine I had set so it suppress JavaScript errors, the embedded Web Browser Control in the Seamless app did not, it was generating an error and the modal dialog was just hanging the WBC. I corrected the JS, and I also converted the Seamless App over to C# and set the WBC to suppress errors for now.

[On XP] the Simple redirects to the Home Page, Seamless does not, *however*, when I set the redirect to an outside site just to test, they both work. Then I set the redirect to an internal static HTML page and they both work. Then I disabled any load code on the Home page, still nothing. Then I tried one of the few stand-alone ASPX pages, they both work again!

So obviously there's something the Seamless doesn't like on the Home Page - like most of the other pages in the app, it uses a Master Page (which contains a semi-dynamic JS based main menu). There's also a User Control for the Quick Menus.

So I built a new Master Page, wired the Home Page into it (simple changed the master page reference in the header) and low and behold, the Seamless works on XP.

I switched back to the proper MP and started removing code and testing - All the code behind code. Javascript references. Main Menu. Script Manager. Still not working. Then I remove the Update Panel I use for a file status indicator under the main menu...

...that was it. For some unknown reason, having an Update Panel, in the Master Page causes the Seamless version not to work _only_ in XP. It's not really needed for this "Field" version of the app (and is only really to make the app a little slicker from a user experience).

This leads me to believe there *must* be some kind of AJAX issue with the Seamless on XP. Fortunately, while I make use of it throughout the site (remote calls for scanning, plenty of dynamic DDL's), the modules I'm deploying for the field don't! I tested the Update Panel just sitting in a stand-alone page (no Master) and the Seamless hangs up. I also tried a couple of pages with the Update Panel removed, but other AJAX code (like CascadingDropDown and AutoComplete) and Seamless won't load those either.

There must be something preventing a remoting call in XP (from JavaScript). I'm surprised Vista is a little more loose. At any rate, I'll get the Field running under Seamless in XP for now since there's no AJAX other than the Update Panel (and I simply made a dedicated Master for the Field without it).

I'll update as I get a chance to debug this better when I have more time :)

jeffoi
#27 Posted : Sunday, July 26, 2009 7:42:02 PM(UTC)

Ultidev Team wrote:
Hi, Jeffoi!

On XP - yes, it will work. On Vista - no, unless UAC is turned off.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.

Hi Admin, thank you for answering my post. Why the UAC should be turned off if the user is using VISTA? If that's the case then it is impossible to distribute since most of the notebooks and PC's as for now is using VISTA. Do you have any solution aside from turning off UAC? or do you have any code that will automatically turned off UAC?

Regards,
Jeffoi
Ultidev Team
#33 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2009 5:43:33 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi, Jeffoi.

We are not aware of any way to turn UAC off programmatically. UAC is a good thing for non-technical people and keeping it on is a good idea. The reason why Cassini is blocked by UAC when running from an external drive is because code on external devices considered to be less trusted, and some functions, like listening to external IP addresses (that is something Cassini does) while running under powerful, possibly admin-level, interactive user account is a significant-enough threat for UAC. Since UltiDev Cassini was not originally designed to support scenarios implemented by the Desktop Adapter, only next version of UltiDev Cassini will address the security issue.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
rdhatch
#34 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2009 7:28:26 AM(UTC)

Hi Everyone -

I've just completed a new Screencast & demo application of the Cassini Desktop Adapter in Seamless mode. It comes complete with a JQuery demo. In the screencast, I also show you how to deploy the Cassini Desktop Adapter.

Hope it helps!

Ryan D. Hatch

View Screencast: http://www.screencast.co...-435f-acb0-c73d081a2e55
Download App: http://www.konect.com/Ry...ktopAdapterSeamless.zip
DannyT
#35 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:14:07 AM(UTC)

Hi Ryan!

Thanks a ton for the continuing support. FWIW, wrapping up the web code (with AJAX intact) that would not run seamless using the older code, now works just using the newer methodology you described in the screencast above. I'm sure it's something relating to security on remote calls, and at some point I'll probably go through a low[er] level debug, but for now, we're up and running!

Again, thanks!

DT
jeffoi
#36 Posted : Wednesday, January 6, 2010 11:15:37 PM(UTC)

hello everyone,

no more updates about vista issues? I wish there will be a solution for that..

Regards,

Jeff
Ultidev Team
#37 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:41:47 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi, Jeff.

Unfortunately, for now there were no changes.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
#38 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:18:49 AM(UTC)
Groups:

i have my c# application working offline.
I want it to sync to my large databse when connected to the internet.
Please give me solution
Ultidev Team
#39 Posted : Wednesday, October 17, 2012 10:08:37 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hello,

It appears you have posted this question in a wrong forum. Please consider stackoverflow.com or similar Q&A board.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
#40 Posted : Monday, January 8, 2018 8:55:14 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Message was deleted by a Moderator.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed