Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

DNN 4.3 on XP Home
GeoffreyMH
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 6, 2006 12:13:50 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi

Great product.

I am almost there following your latest Code Project instructions exactly. Tantalisingly close. DNN loads and runs but I can't login as Host or Admin! Any suggestions?

If you can get it working on XP Home with Visual Web Developer Express you will have a huge success.

Regards

Geoffrey
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 6, 2006 12:28:01 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi, Geoffrey!

Back when we were working on the article, we too had some issues with logging in, but resolved them pretty quickly. We wanted to let you know that it should not be a big issue. We'll take a look at our records to find out what we've done to have it working. One thing about DNN that has given us the hardest time is that it stores its hostname in database. If somehow browser gets rediredcted to IP address instead of being directed to a ULR based on the stored hostname - DNN explodes. So you could try wiping out the database and run DNN for the first time by entering its URL as http://<IP address>:<port>, instead of clicking the localhost-based URL. Please post back if you find the solution before we do.

Thank you,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
Ultidev Team
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2006 7:07:06 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Geoffrey,

we tested DNN 4.3.2 Beta running on the final version of Cassini and found out that it works fine and has become much easier to setup compared to 4.0.x. Here's what you need to do.

Assuming you have SQL Express and Cassini 2.0 installed, please do following

1. Download DNN 4.3.2 Beta and unpack it to C:\DNN43 folder.
2. Register DNN as a Cassini Application like this:

3. Save and run DNN43 Cassini application - it will install itself just fine even though it's going to take a few minutes. Then click "Click Here To Access Your Portal" at the end of the installation process and wait a couple of minutes for DNN to finalize its initializtion.
4. Login to DNN with username admin and password dnnadmin. Note that default password has changed from 4.0.x version. May be that's why you could not login?

That's it. Please let us know if this has worked for you.
Regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
#4 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2006 2:49:42 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Damn! I wish I had read this post 3 hours ago!

I was using instructions for DNN 4.0 (with DNN 4.3 installed, SQL Express 2005), and the connect strings didn't work:

http://www.codeproject.c...ltidevcassiniwebsrv.asp These got the best page rank for my searches :(

Out of desperation I tried not changing anything in the web.config file and it worked exactly as you reported.

Any, thanks for a great product guys.
Ultidev Team
#5 Posted : Monday, July 17, 2006 5:10:58 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hello, Hugh!

We are sorry for the inconvenience. A few days ago, after we found out that DNN 4.3.x is different from DNN 4.0.x, we tried our best to alleviate possible confusion - we ammended the Codeproject article by specifying "4.0.2" as DNN version in the article title, as well as by adding a paragrapch at the end of the article mentioning how 4.3.x is different.

Thank you for using our Cassini!
Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2006 3:39:20 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Hi

For some strange reason, I have only just picked up your latest post on using Cassini with dnn 4.3 (now 4.3.3). I cant wait to try it but I am travelling at the moment so not near the XP Home laptop for a couple of weeks. I will let you know How I get on. :-)
Ultidev Team
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 26, 2006 5:39:04 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi, Geoffrey!

How did it work for you? We found that DNN 4.3.x is much easier install and make work with Cassini. We even were able to make a simple setup project that packs DNN 4.3 and UltiDev Cassini together.

All the best,
UltiDev Team.
GeoffreyMH
#8 Posted : Monday, August 21, 2006 10:28:52 AM(UTC)

Hi UltiDev Team

Sadly I am still 'failing the idiot test' when it comes to DNN 4.3.4 installation with Cassini on XP Home. I have unzipped the install package to the DNNN43 file and opened DNN and successfully installed DNN until I saw the login screen - but it crashed when I hit login and now I cannot even get into Cassini Explorer. Instead I get this message...

Server Error in '/' Application.
Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: The code subdirectory '/App_Code/Reports/' does not exist.

Source Error:

Line 84: </expressionBuilders>
Line 85: <codeSubDirectories>
Line 86: <add directoryName="Reports" />
Line 87: </codeSubDirectories>
Line 88: </compilation>

Source File: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\web.config Line: 86

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Cassini but to now avail. What do you suggest?

Regards

Geoffrey MH
Ultidev Team
#9 Posted : Monday, August 21, 2006 10:56:33 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi, Geoffrey.

If this will make you feel better we failed the test with DNN 4.3.4 as well. We had better success with 4.3.2. For 4.3.4 we started writing an article for CodePoejct about how to make installable package with Cassini, but although we were able to work around the Reports issue by adding Reports folder to the App_Code folder and placing something in it, we still could not work around the issue where the first DNN run would intermittenly fail due to "Stored procedure not found". Another problem was uninstallation: we had difficulties with reliably removing files created at run time by DNN. Database transaction log file (.ldf) was preventing subsequent isntallation if it was not deleted. But we only spent around two days playing with that and decided to put it off and let someone from the community to take turn.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
GeoffreyMH
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 22, 2006 9:46:50 AM(UTC)

Wel thank you. It does make me feel a lot better. I guess some frustration is the price of staying at the leading edge. I will tell you if I get any further. Meanwhile thank you for a fast response.

Kind regards

Geoffrey
Rss Feed  Atom Feed