Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Missing / for dir, Server fails to send correct path
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2006 9:11:48 AM(UTC)
Groups:

It appears that an application running on your Cassini server fails to give the correct filename and dir for files it is reading on the disk. When it is spoused to look for a file on disk such as " /portals/_default/default.css" it looks for "/portals/_defaultdefault.css" which is not a file the end / appears to get drooped between the last folder and the file name. Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to run DNN 3.2.2 on a Windows XP home edition with Cassini Server 1. I am able to copy some of the files to the wrong place and name and I am able to run the application but not correctly. Thanks
Bill
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2006 10:10:34 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Bill,

while we will look into what might be causing this issue in Cassini, could you please try this: run the application under IIS from IIS root folder, so that your application would be accessible via http://localhost/. See if that exhibits behavior different from Cassini. Some applications break when moved from virtual folder to web server root because ASP.NET Request.ApplicationPath property returns "/" for root application, and "/applicationfolder" - without trailing '/' for applications in virtual folders. If moving application to IIS root still shows different behavior from Cassini, please let us know how those incorrect URL get formed. Code snippets would be helpful.

Best regards,
UltiDev team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2006 2:58:43 PM(UTC)
Groups:

OK thanks for the quick reply. When I run the Same code via IIS 6.0 on a 2003 server there is no errors the code itself is a prepackaged set of applications. DotNetNuke DNN 3.2.2 Source code installed over Install code. First errors showed up when the DotNetNuke runs an upgrade or install. The application looks for certain files scripts and settings and resources and runs the scripts. the install process fails because the following slash is missing and so the files are not found. It appears to work correctly after install I don't have any code snipplets at this time. I am going to try doing the install and upgrade on the IIS 6.0 and then Run the Application with the Casini Server and see if there is any errors. I will let you know soon. Thanks again. Sorry for my ignorance as I am new to developing with dot.net and vb code.
Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2006 3:33:27 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Bill,
we'll do our best to find and fix the problem if it ends up being a problem with Cassini. DNN is a pretty complex animal as far as we can tell, so some work to port DNN applications to Cassini may be required. In our case, to test DNN with Cassini we ran DNN Install package on Cassini. I think we had to do some minor tweaks, but given that it was our first-ever exposure to DNN, it went surprisingly smoothly. Another thing worth mentioning is that Ultidev Cassini executable can be used for your ASP.NET application debugging. If something is not right, debugging with Cassini will take you closer to the source of the problem, especially if problem is related to differences between Cassini and IIS. Please check the debugging section of Cassini Dev Guide to see if that will help you.

Regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2006 5:27:04 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Thanks again. It appears it might have something to do with my machine.config or I have FileName Length compatibility turned off on the Win XP Home pc. Do you remember the minor tweaks you did to install DotNetNuke? I don't think it is a problem with Casini itself. I am going to install Casini on the Windows 2003 Server RC2 tonight and try running it from there. I do believe it is settings on my pc or in the machine.config. If you could post the steps and or tweaks you used to do a DotNetNuke install that would be great. By the way what are you using to host this site? It appears very fast and the site design is great. Thanks so much for your time. I think that Casini is a very good piece of code and very useful. Do you have any ideals on where and how I could use a free open source VB.net Compiler? I am having trouble running sharpdevelop. Thanks again.
Bill
admin
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 10, 2006 7:17:18 PM(UTC)

Hello, Bill.

Guest wrote:
Do you remember the minor tweaks you did to install DotNetNuke?

Actually, those were not so much tweaks, but more of having trouble following DNN installation instructions with creating and editing its .Config file and with SQL database, not with the web server. DB had to be manually created, and SQL users/logins had to be created and mapped. After that we just registered DNN under Cassini and ran installation. It all is running on XP Pro. The only hitch was that installation has not completed the first time we ran it. It seemingly timed out. We unzipped DNN Install again, created config again and ran it. This time it ran without a hitch.

Guest wrote:
I think that Casini is a very good piece of code and very useful.

Thrilled to hear that! Hope you have fun working with it.

Guest wrote:
...how I could use a free open source VB.net Compiler? I am having trouble running sharpdevelop.

Bill, MS gives VB.NET Express edition away for free. You can download it here.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2006 8:54:01 AM(UTC)
Groups:

I'm getting the same error where the portal will NOT be created because it's NOT correctly adding a slash at the end of the current path it's working with.

Example: For all the provider path I had to change...

providerPath="~\Providers\HtmlEditorProviders\Ftb3HtmlEditorProvider\"

to look like

providerPath="~\Providers\HtmlEditorProviders\Ftb3HtmlEditorProvider\\"

This then got me as far as the first poster where he had problems getting the portal created and the DNN install could not find the "/portals/_defaultdefault.css" file because it should have been looking in the " /portals/_default/default.css" path.

Any hoo, if any one knows of a quick fix please let me know.

Thanks,

ActionBin
#8 Posted : Monday, May 22, 2006 5:20:03 PM(UTC)
Groups:

I see it's been awhile since the last entry in this topic, but I have the same type problem. Early in the DNN 3.2.2 installation, it's looking for a database version which it won't find in the database because DNN hasn't even had a chance to create its tables yet. So it creates a path from some mapped path value (using a virtual path I guess), but it also is missing a trailing '\' so that the file name gets glommed onto the path name, something like \Providers\DataProviders\SqlDataProvider00.00.00.SqlDataProvider, which name is created at line 136 of file ~\Providers\DataProviders\SqlDataProvider\SqlDataProvider.vb. The file is called 00.00.00.SqlDataProvider, the path it got from a translation of a path it gets from HttpContext.Current.Server.MapPath( the-path-from-the-config-file ) (lines 121, 126). The path is specified in the config file as providerPath="~\Providers\DataProviders\SqlDataProvider\", so we know it already has the trailing '\' in it. So something in this particular HttpContext object is mapping the path incorrectly (I can only presume for now that UltiDev Cassini provides this object ??).
Ultidev Team
#9 Posted : Monday, May 22, 2006 5:51:38 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi there!

which version of Cassini are you having trouble with 1.1 or 2.0? We'll review how MapPath logic works in Cassini vs. IIS and will make it consistent with IIS if that's under our control (we'll need to research it).

Please also note that paths should normally not be formatted using .NET string concatenation operation like
string path = @"c:\windows\" + "system32";
Instead proper way to concatenate file path pieces is using System.IO.Path.Combine() method - exactly due to the reason you described. Path.Combine() handles trailing slashes correctly, making sure they are not missing, and there are no doubles.

Regards,
UltiDev Team.
#10 Posted : Monday, May 22, 2006 6:23:13 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Your point about well-formed paths is quite correct ... but DNN code is what it is. I am using UltiDev Cassini 1.1, on .NET 1.1, on Windows XP Home (without IIS, thus my desire to use your cool product), with DotNetNuke 3.2.2.
Ultidev Team
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 23, 2006 4:10:50 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Thank you for the information!
We'll make sure we have MapPath() working in the way consistent with IIS.

Regards,
UltiDev Team.
Ultidev Team
#12 Posted : Monday, May 29, 2006 1:22:18 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Alright, we determined that MapPath() in Cassini 1.1 is not working exactly as in IIS, while Cassini 2.0 works just like IIS. We traced the inconsistency to the original Cassini code distributed by MS. We fixed the issue and it will be available in the next build of Cassini 1.1. Hopefully this will take care of the DNN 3.x.x issues.

Regards,
UltiDev Team.
#13 Posted : Thursday, June 1, 2006 7:49:14 AM(UTC)
Groups:

I'm glad you found it. This should help many people trying to use your 1.1 version, once it is available. Any idea when the next release (or other) candidate will be ready?
Ultidev Team
#14 Posted : Thursday, June 1, 2006 8:33:13 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi!
We are planning the release within next 4 to 6 weeks, but users who commit to test the product for a few hours and provide feedback can get the current build with all the current fixes in place within a week or so. Contact us by email if you are interested.

All the best,
UltiDev Team.
#15 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2006 12:19:16 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Will the new version fix this???

I have a web project that uses the crystalviewer in VS2005.
I have tried to use the latest UltiDev Cassini 2.0 (july 10th release)
as the debugger and also as the server for the project.

My problem is that the path to the images & css files which are kinda in mystery code from asp/atlas
will not work when I use cassini. They work fine with the default debugging server in VS2005.

My startpage is: WebProject/default.aspx

The image & css files are generated & referenced as
"/aspnet_client/System_Web/2_0_50727/CrystalReportWebFormViewer3/css/default.css"
"/aspnet_client/System_Web/2_0_50727/CrystalReportWebFormViewer3/images/toolbar/export.gif

The difference seems to be that the VS default server formats the address as:
localhost:xxxx/WebProject/default.aspx

and the Cassini server will only run as:
localhost:xxxx/default.aspx
or
localhost:xxxx/

but NOT with
localhost:xxxx/WebProject/default.aspx

So for example, a generated script line running with ULtiDev Cassini has:
script src="/WebResource.axd?

But with VS2005 Default Debugger, it is:
script src="/WebProject/WebResource.axd?
Ultidev Team
#16 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2006 12:33:22 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi there!

"aspnet_client" folder is a cheat to make certain features available to all applications running under IIS specifically. The workaround for applications under Cassini would be copying the aspnet_client folder with all its contents to folder containing your application. For example if your application's main page is c:\webapps\myapp\WebForm1.aspx, then you may need to copy aspnet_client from "c:\inetpub\wwwroot" to "c:\webapps\myapp".

All the best,
UltiDev Team.
#17 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2006 9:09:37 PM(UTC)
Groups:

I do not have IIS running on my machine
(& i have not located any aspnet_client folders in directories on my drives)

The only server I am running ( besides ultiDevCassini )
is the temporary server that VisualStudio2005 setsup for debugging.
I thought this was also a version of Cassini.

Running with the VisualStudio 2005 default local server, everything works fine.

But the web project cannot find the crystalReport images & stylesheets when it is running with
UltiDev Cassini as a debug server in VisualStudio 2005
or when running as a registered web application under ULtiDevCassini.

Ultidev Team
#18 Posted : Monday, July 24, 2006 9:20:43 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi!

Since Visual Studio's web server works, it means "aspnet_client" folder is physically present somewhere on your hard drive. Once you locate it, please copy it over to the folder containing your web applicaiton.

Regards,
UltiDev Team.
Nancy Stanford
#19 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:05:27 PM(UTC)
Groups: Member

OK I have a workaround:
In the VS2005/Atlas/asp.net generated code, the path is called:
/aspnet_client/System_Web/2_0_50727/CrystalReportWebFormViewer3 ...

These files are actually at:
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ASP.NETClientFiles\CrystalReportWebFormViewer3

This 'virtual folder' reference is from asp.net, not IIS.

If the webproject name was in the URL, I think the page would work fine.
But this does not happen in UltiDev Cassini.

So I updated my web project directory to include folders matching the path specified in the asp.net and copied the code/files (in CrystalReportWebFormViewer3 folder). FIXED!!
Ultidev Team
#20 Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2006 1:17:14 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Nancy, thank you very much for sharing the solution!

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed