Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Is UWS the answer?
jezBo
#1 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 6:55:07 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I have a .NET rich client application that generates web content and presents it in a web browser control within the rich client application. I want to split this into two components: a server component that generates the web content (all the pages) and responds to certain events initiated within each page, and the pages themselves which run in any browser on any machine in the local network (and may contain client-side scripting via javascript/jquery).

Does UWS solve the problem of how to build and deploy the server component?
What type of .NET project should I base it on - a web site, a web application, or a web service?
How do I build and test using UWS? Currently if I build any of these projects in .NET it will use IIS by default.

(sorry if these questions are dumb, I'm new even to ASP.NET)
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2011 3:34:05 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi there!

UWS is a regular web server, with one significant addition: it's easy to incorporate into your application installation package. So if you find yourself in the situation where you need to distribute your web application, chances are target systems won't have IIS installed on them. That's where UWS is useful. But other than that, from functional point of view, IIS and UWS are not very different. UWS has more user-friendly UI, and can replace Microsoft development web server for debugging and testing, but again, it's a very straightforward web server after all.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:58:49 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Thanks for the reply. What deployment options are there for ensuring that the web application is restricted to the user's local area network? How would you provide config options for allowing the user to modify the port number that the application runs on, without having to edit web.congig - can the initial port number be specified in the installation?
Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Wednesday, December 21, 2011 11:04:36 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi there.

Re: LAN-only access. No web server can reliably verify where the request has originated. You can make a web server listen to loopback (localhost, 127.0.0.1, [::1]) addresses only, but that would limit the usage to the local machine. Once you make a networked software listen to an actual IP address, access to it is guarded by firewalls.

Re: port number change. End users can change application's port number using UWS Explorer console. Developers bundling their web applications with UWS can specify port numbers using application registration utility (scroll to LISTENENDPOINTS command description) or application registration API. However, best practice is to specify multiple ports for your and also let UWS find a free port for your app just in case ports you want are taken, and then use UWS Redirector URL to point your browser to the app.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2012 9:25:14 AM(UTC)
Groups:

Thanks. I'm making some progress, a simple ASP.NET app is running using the interactive dev/test server. However, things start to go awry when I try to deploy the application properly via a setup project. The problem I have is authentication and access to certain folders on the server machine. Running via the dev/test server I have no problem since its running under my windows user. What user account does the installed web application run under? I can try to open up folder access permissions to that user. Ideally though I'd like to have the web server "impersonate" the user who installed it - is this possible? I dont want potental customers to have to configure anything, just to run the installation.
jezBo
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2012 9:26:47 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Sorry forgot to log in, but it is me, the OP, who posted the above.
Ultidev Team
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 3, 2012 9:54:55 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi there!

The simplest way would be prohibiting (unchecking) Anonymous access and allowing only Windows authentication using UWS explorer (see here). Your application would need to do impersonation, and if static files, like images, etc., need to be controlled for access, please check "Impersonate client Windows user for static content", shown here.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed