Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Run UWS without installing?
ori.cohen
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2011 11:28:08 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

This would still require installing UWS on every client machine and having the "Interactive User" window or the "Web Application Manager" window opened.
I need to be able to run ASP.NET 4.0 applications as standalone without having to install Web Server Pro or having any other window than the browser opened.
This was already achieved by a community member on Cassini Web Server, as you can see in this thread:
http://ultidev.com/forum....aspx?g=posts&t=292

As I need to be able to do this in .NET4.0 and the Cassini Web Server does not support .NET4.0 I am seriously stuck!!

I need your immediate help on the matter.
The environment on which the client applications should run is a controlled environment so I know the port numbers to use and all the other parameters.
I have a command line that I can use that doesn't require me to change anything in the Interactive User screen, so there is no point in having it opened and having it remain open afterwards.
"%cd%\UWS\UWS.InteractiveServer.Clr4AnyCPU.exe" /physicaldirectory="%cd%\UWS Sample" /defaultdocument="index.htm" /port="8080"

Additionally, I do not understand why an installation is required. Tell me what the installation does and I will run that from my own pre-run application to set up the environment for UWS.

This is very urgent!!

Regards,

Ori
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 2, 2011 1:07:41 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Ori,

Unfortunately we can't support stand-alone, non-installed version of our new web server.

UWS, like IIS and unlike Cassini and WebDev, is now using HTTP.SYS kernel driver instead of Sockets to receive requests, and more importantly to share port 80 and other TCP ports. Using HTTP.SYS requires us to use GAC and also requires some parts of the logic to run in elevated/admin mode, which also are better done through installing services running under high-privilege system account.

You could probably hack WebDev.WebDev or Cassini for ASP.NET 4 to get what you need, as those web servers still use Sockets, which also means for as long as you listen to localhost and 127.0.0.1, your app won't need to run elevated.

Ori, also, our license prohibits cannibalizing our installation package and redistributing parts of our system. The reason why we give away this product for free is to establish our brand, and for that our presence on customer machines (as opposed to being invisible) is how we get the value out of free product. Our product can only be used and redistributed intact, and the license requires running our original installer.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
1 user thanked Ultidev Team for this useful post.
ori.cohen on 11/3/2011(UTC)
ori.cohen
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 3, 2011 4:30:28 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hello,

Thank you for the quick and detailed response.
Much appreciated!

Now things are much clearer.
You said that I could probably hack Cassini to support MS .NET 4.0.
Any idea how I could do that? Is there source-code access? Do I need the source code?

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Ori
Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:52:15 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Ori,

Please take a look at this one:
http://weblogs.asp.net/t...uncing-cassini-4-0.aspx

BTW, you don't need to install your application to run under UWS - only UWS needs to be installed, and you can install UWS in passive mode with only progress bar showing and no user input required. Please let us know if you would be interested to know how to do that.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed