Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Web server crashes with long-running/memory-intensive process
Picasso99
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:35:32 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I have a web application written in C# w/ VS2008 and .Net3.5. The web application uses Crystal Reports for VS2008. When a small report is run, the report is shown as it should be. On some machines, if a large report is run, and memory requirements exceed 200MB, the Ultidev Cassini Web Server service stops suddenly. An event is written to the log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: .NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 09/29/2010
Time: 08:27:37
User: N/A
Computer: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Description:
Faulting application ultidevcassinwebserver2a.exe, version 2.1.0.3, stamp 45caafc1, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.5755, stamp 49901d48, debug? 0, fault address 0x0000100b.

I have unchecked "Always keep application in memory to improve first page response time", but that hasn't resolved the issue. The web server is installed as part of the installation package along with the web application.

The computers in question are running WinXP SP3 and have all available Windows updates installed. I can provide detailed information on hardware/software/services/etc. if that would help.
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:40:35 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi there!

We are not sure whether the memory usage is a problem - we have just tested memory-hogging application and had no trouble running up 2GB+ in memory allocation. Since crashing application can crash the Cassini service, could you please run your application under IIS, for example, or use any other testing approach to rule your application and Crystal as a cause of the crash first?

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
Picasso99
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 30, 2010 9:55:34 AM(UTC)

Some machines run fine, even with reports that chew up 1.5GB. However, other machines crash at 200MB. I'll setup IIS on one of the machines exhibiting the problem and do some testing. I'll post back the results, one way or the other.
Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Friday, October 1, 2010 4:45:20 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Great! Please let us know, we'll be happy to help.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
apersaud500
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:11:25 AM(UTC)

I having this same exact issue.. i exponentially use up memory... over 2gb then crashes....
Config:Server 2003
Processor: Xeon 5505 2.13GHZ
RAM: 16GB.
Ultidev Team
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 6:25:11 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi,

Could you please try unregistering all applications (except Cassini Explorer) and then please use http://localhost:7756/ to access Cassini Explorer and see whether Cassini Server or Explorer cause a memory leak. If not, then there is probably one of registered applications leak memory. You may try an Alpha build of the next-generation UltiDev Web Server - the Pro version. It should at least re-start application host process if an app made it crash allowing for low-downtime user experience while you are working on the fix. It also allows you to place your application into a separate host process and monitor process'es memory usage.

Please let us know what you have find.

Also, please note that long-running, memory-intensive .NET programs are very likely to run out of memory no matter what if they allocate chunks larger than 80KB. Such memory blocks don't get moved and merged during garbage collection and lead to memory fragmentation, which subsequently leads to host process running out of memory and crashing. Using UltiDev Web Server Pro or IIS - servers that re-spawn host process when it crashed - is the answer, unless, of course, the app can do away with large object heap.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed