Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Stunned by the performance - and strange behaviour of IIS
TillmanZ
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2006 2:07:36 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi,

first of all I want to say that I am really stunned by the fact that my wordml/pdf generating website takes only 20sec to complete running on Cassini 2.0rc1 compared with 1.10min running on the VS webserver and running on IIS 5.1.
The strange thing is that my webcode will not run on IIS 6.0. After about 10s I can see that the dreaded dw20.exe is fired up and continously grows in memory and cpu usage. Then after about a minute the browser returns and tells me that the site is not reachable.
I have tried the code on two different W2003 installations and I always get the same problem. However as stated already the code works on the VS2005 server, a WinXP IIS and also on Cassini (2).
Obviously I know that this is not the "MS support forum" but I wonder if any of you guys could give me a hint on where to look for a solution for this issue.

Best regards,

Tillman

P.S. if only your Cassini would support SSL - then I just wouldn't care about IIS anymore
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2006 5:36:00 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hello, Tillman!

Thank you for the feedback - nothing makes us more excited than users liking the Cassini.

If we had to guess why your application works in Cassini and WebDev Server and not in IIS, then it probably has to do with access privileges all these different servers have by default. UltiDev Cassini by default runs under very powerful "Local System" account. WebDev server of VS2005 runs under your logged in account, which is probably a computer administrator. IIS6 on Windows 2003 has default application pool configured to run under restricted "Network Service" account. All this means your application at some point may try to do something that requires access rights not granted to NETWORK SERVICE account, which crashes your app. Try to change your process identity in Win 2003 and see if that makes any difference. You can either create a new application pool for your application, or set <identity impersonaltion="true" /> in the app's web.config and then either turn on Integrated Auth, or change the Anonymous Access account to your personal user account. Keep in mind though that this will make your site less secure. If you find that this tip helped, you will probablyl have to wrap the logic that requires elevated access right into .NET Enterprise (COM+) Component component, which is not hard, and keep the rest of the application logic under Network Service account.

We hope this helps,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed