Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Cassini Web Server crashes on Bulg test, Mem issue???
sonicsw
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:34:30 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hello Guys,

we, 3CX, uses your webserver to manage your Software PBX.
As well we provide a user interface for missed calls and recordings.
To day I made a blug test to that.
I opened my IE upend the user Interface, logged in, wait until the page is loaded and closed the browser again.
I do so constantly via an script. After a time i notice that i cound log in any more.
CPU Usage was 100% of the webserver. So i restartet everything and put the facs down.

At cassini start (version UltiDev Cassini Web Server for Visual Studio 2005 (v. 2.0.8)) i have in idle
66MB Men, 22 Threads and 500 Handles

Now i started my test again until it crashed (properly 100 openings and closing)
246MB Mem, 23 Threads and 642 Handles
I was waiting for over 30 min. to see if the Men is getting freed again but no.

Now i Installed the newver version of Cassini (UltiDev Cassini Web Server for Visual Studio 2008 (v. 2.0.9))
Idle:
120MB Mem, 25 Threads, 625 Handles
Started the test again, now it was longer running as before but it crashed again
Crash:
666MB Mem, 44 Threads, 630 Handels

To validate that not my very simple script was cousing this issue i run it agains our software installed on an MS IIS6
and its working since hours now. There is no logging i can look at but maybe you can help me to figure out why the men
is not released after all the connections.

Thx already so much
Stefan

if u need any more inforamtuiosn let me know plz!
Ah, Hardware Info: 2048MB Mem Windows XP 64Bit ENG, on a E8400 Intel CPU

Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:07:11 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hello, Stefan.

Thanks to 3CX for using our software. We'll do our best to help you troubleshoot the issue.

First things first: please check this FAQ entry - it is a work-around telling how to improve Cassini service's availability and minimize the downtime if it crashes.

Now, let's get to troubleshooting questions:

- If you run you test for a while - so the memory runs up but before it crashes - what happens if you stop the test before it crashes: does the memory usage go down or just stays unchanged?

- After service crashes, could you please take a look at the windows Event Viewer (Application) and find error entries related to the crash. Could you please post the errors here?

- When you are testing with IIS, have you watched its host process memory usage too? It may be crashing too, but restarting automatically, creating an impression of continuous running. On IIS 6 it may not even crash, but get gracefully "recycled" - shutdown and restarted.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
sonicsw
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2009 12:23:14 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hello,

sorry for my late answer.

- If you run you test for a while - so the memory runs up but before it crashes - what happens if you stop the test before it crashes: does the memory usage go down or just stays unchanged?
No the Mem Stays at its level, i have waited for over 30 min monitoring this, but there was not mem release.

- After service crashes, could you please take a look at the windows Event Viewer (Application) and find error entries related to the crash. Could you please post the errors here?
This is my issue, there is nothing to find in the event viewer. Just the taskmanager told me that the the webserver went up to 100% then it disappiered and startet with normal mem usage again

- When you are testing with IIS, have you watched its host process memory usage too? It may be crashing too, but restarting automatically, creating an impression of continuous running. On IIS 6 it may not even crash, but get gracefully "recycled" - shutdown and restarted.
IIS i was testing for some hours but the mem use just went a bit up and stayed at the usage as normal.

are there some trace logs i can activate to see closer what is going on and give us a coule why this happens...?
thx already very much
Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2009 6:10:55 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi there.

We can't think of any easy way to monitor memory usage in a way that would separate service's own from applications'. You could use perf monitor to watch memory usage, and especially handle usage, because since memory usage does not go back when idling, it means that most likely that the problem is not with managed, .NET memory, which would be garbage-collected, but rather with non-managed OS memory or handles. More involved way to find out what's going on would be to create your own perf counters to monitor memory usage on the per-appdomain basis, as every app hosted by Cassini is loaded into its own appdomain.

We are sorry we can't be more definitive in this situation. If you find out anything new about this problem, please post here.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed