Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Cassini Web Server for ASP.NET 2.0 service terminated unexpectedly.
landj
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 2:34:12 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

I am getting this error on my XP MCE PC running web guide 4. The PC was reloaded 4 weeks ago and is only used for TV. It is running fine except this error. I have followed your advice in other threads, uminstalling and reinstalling, using the MS uninstaller clean up utility, checkimg the registry and rolling back to a date when I know Webguide worked all to no avail.

Anyone got any ideas what I can do to solve this issue please?
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 4:40:35 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi there!

Could you please take a look at the Windows Event Log (Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer->Application) and check whether you have any error entries related to UltiDev Cassini, WebGuide4 or ASP.NET? If there are, please export your Application event log as an EVT file and contact us by email so we could give you an email address where you could send the event log so we could analyze it. If possible, please clean up the event log, then reproduce the problem, and then export the EVT file - it will then contain only relevant information. If you could, please also include screenshots of WG4 configuration. Even though we are not WG4 experts, its settings could give us some idea what may be causing the crash.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
landj
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 5:44:59 AM(UTC)

Hi and thanks for the quick reply. There is nothing about Cassini in the application log, apart from where I tried to manually start the servoce today. The system log reports these errors as starting after a reboot on 9 November. My PC reboots every night at 3:30 and these errors show immediately on boot up. I've been running WG4 for a long while with Cassini on this machine and apart from reloading the PC around a month ago have not changed the WG4 settings, nor added or removed hardware. It has a firewall, AVG and is not used for anything aprt from Media centre stuff. I cannot recall doing anything on the 8th / 9th to it either (apart from watching the TV). Would you still like the logs?
Thanks
Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 12, 2008 7:52:57 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi!

We would like to look at the log, because even though our hope is not high as for immediately finding the cause, it may help us find similarities with other "impossible" support cases we successfully resolved.

Did we understand you correctly that the problem occurs not only when PC is rebooted, but also when you start the service manually?

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
landj
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:07:45 AM(UTC)

Yes, the problem occurs both when manually starting the service and when rebooting. I will edit the logs and forward to you later today.
Thanks
Ultidev Team
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:25:38 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Thank you. Please also include WG4 configuration information if possible.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Tp
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2009 4:51:11 AM(UTC)

Hi --my 5 cents.

it looks like Cassini crashes when the eventlog is full.

I experienced a similar problem where Cassini would start okay, but crashed ("terminated unexpectedly") whenever i opened the config page.

uninstall - reinstall but no change.
After clearing the Event log, it worked again!

Regards
Torben
Ultidev Team
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2009 9:01:38 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi, Torben.

UltiDev Cassini can indeed crash if it can't write to Windows Event Log (Application) for whatever reason. However, event log being full should not be one of the reasons, because starting with the Release Candidate 1, Cassini installer checks Event Log settings and not only makes Event Log larger than default, but most importantly, it makes Event Log capable of being overwritten, which should prevent the Event Log from ever being full. Please check settings of the Application Event Log and see whether it is set up to overwrite older events. If not, we'll try to establish whether settings on your Event Log were changed after Cassini installation, or Cassini installer failed to modify Event Log settings.

Please let us know whether you are running Vista or XP.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
S@RS
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 2, 2009 9:35:01 PM(UTC)

Cassini crashes in some circumstances after changing the Web.config file of current WebApp from the app's code.
Ultidev Team
#10 Posted : Friday, April 3, 2009 5:17:30 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Thank you for letting use know.

Could you please let us know what we need to do in order to reproduce the problem?

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
S@RS
#11 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 4:04:31 AM(UTC)

More exactly:
Cassini crashes in some time (10-15 seconds) after changing ANY file (.aspx, .ascx, web.config, global.asax) in Web application. Once it has occured after 20 minutes of standing without any file changes (just AJAX timer postbacks in every 2 seconds).
Conditions: .NET framework 2.0, ASP.NET AJAX 1.0 for ASP.NET 2.0, Windows XP or Windows 2000. I use AJAX's UpdatePanels, timers, asyncronous postbacks.
I can not reproduce that crash under Windows Vista and .NET 3.5 SP1.
Ultidev Team
#12 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 5:41:08 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Slava,

Could you please take a look at Windows Event Viewer where UltiDev Cassini logs its failures and exceptions? It's at Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> Application. If you see error entries related to either UltiDev Cassini or .NET Framework, please post them here or contact us via email so we could provide you an email address where you could send us event log info for analysis.

If Cassini crashes while idling, please try this: bring up Cassini Explorer by going to http://localhost:7756/, click Edit next to your application entry and see whether "Always keep application in memory to improve first page response time" checkbox is checked. Having this box checked makes UltiDev Cassini periodically send request to the default page of your application, just to keep it loaded and cached. Sometimes crashing applications take Cassini with them, so we would like to suggest turning this checkbox off to see whether it will help.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
S@RS
#13 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 9:49:25 PM(UTC)

Ultidev Team wrote:
Slava,

Could you please take a look at Windows Event Viewer where UltiDev Cassini logs its failures and exceptions? It's at Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> Application. If you see error entries related to either UltiDev Cassini or .NET Framework, please post them here or contact us via email so we could provide you an email address where you could send us event log info for analysis.

If Cassini crashes while idling, please try this: bring up Cassini Explorer by going to http://localhost:7756/, click Edit next to your application entry and see whether "Always keep application in memory to improve first page response time" checkbox is checked. Having this box checked makes UltiDev Cassini periodically send request to the default page of your application, just to keep it loaded and cached. Sometimes crashing applications take Cassini with them, so we would like to suggest turning this checkbox off to see whether it will help.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.

In Event Viewer -> Application I see just "Service successfully started" and "Successfully start cassini web application" after each crash.
I've contacted you via e-mail.
S@RS
#14 Posted : Monday, April 6, 2009 10:43:15 PM(UTC)

I've been running Cassini from console and reproduced this error!

Unhandled Exception: System.CannotUnloadAppDomainException: Error while unloading appdomain. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131015)
at System.AppDomain.Unload(AppDomain domain)
at System.Web.HttpRuntime.ReleaseResourcesAndUnloadAppDomain(Object state)
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.WaitCallback_Context(Object state
)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, C
ontextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback(Object state)
S@RS
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 7, 2009 12:59:43 AM(UTC)

It seems like this error is disappeared after installing .NET framework 2.0 SP1 or SP2.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed