Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Web Site with Cassini not visible from other computers in a LAN
Newcomsas
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 2:08:49 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hello.
I'm facing a problem with Utildev Cassini Web Server thet apparently is not documented.
I can visualize an ASP.NET web site running under Cassini without any problem from my computer (both the ASP.NET application and Cassini are installed on my machine).
When I try to access the web site from other computer inside our LAN nothing happens. The browser holds on without showing any kind of message. I tried to ping the web application port from these other computers and again nothing happens (the host after a few seconds is reported 'not found').

In effect my Windows Firewall is disabled and when I access (with the same IP address such as '10.0.0.46') other web sites running on IIS I can see them without problems.
I even stopped IIS and set port 80 in Cassini for my ASP.NET web site, but nothing changes.

Could anyone suggest me if there is a way to solve the problem ?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Newcomsas
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 4:25:06 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hello, Newcomsas.

This is not one of the known issues, but we'll try to help you troubleshoot it.

You should be able to access an application from another machine. If you can access an application from the same machine using machine's real IP or real hostname (not 127.0.0.1 or localhost), but not from another machine, it is almost certainly a connectivity/networking issue of some sort, because UltiDev Cassini binds ports to all IP addresses.

Could you please let us know what OS you are using? Also could you take a look at Windows Event Log (Application) and see whether there are error entries related to UltiDev Cassini?

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
Newcomsas
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 7:30:40 AM(UTC)

Hello.
I am in fact able to reach a web application from another machine if the application runs under IIS. For instance:

10.0.0.46/MyIISProject/default.asp with 10.0.0.46 as the IP of my PC

works without problems when I call it from anywhere in my LAN.

It is nevertheless impossible to reach an application that runs under Cassini from other PCs.
There are two cases:

1. I digit 10.0.0.46:999 from my computer and it works perfectly
2. I digit 10.0.0.46:999 from other computers and it doesn't work, the page hangs on without showing error messages

As I previously wrote, I tried even to assign the web application under Cassini the port 80, but it did not work either.
I am using Windows XP SP3 as OS. The event log unfortunately doesn't show any entry about the problem.

I thank you very much for your interest.

Regards,
Newcomsas
Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 8:46:26 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi!

Your sample IIS URL points to legacy ASP page, not ASP.NET. Since UltiDev Cassini supports only ASP.NET, and not old ASP, could you please confirm that ASP.NET applications under IIS are reachable from another machine.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
Newcomsas
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2008 11:00:54 PM(UTC)

Hello.
The web application I am running under Cassini is of course ASP.NET.
About the IIS link, I just made an example. The same is true for every ASP.NET web application that runs under IIS: I can reach it from every machine in my LAN.
At the contrary when I call an ASP.NET application running on Cassini (and installed on my PC) from other computers the pages hang on and nothing is visualized.

Best Regards,
Newcomsas
Ultidev Team
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 5, 2008 5:10:55 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

OK, let's try something.

Could you please install Fiddler - the http tracer? Fiddler is indispensable for http troubleshooting. First, install it on the same machine where you server is and hit the application from the browser using either real IP or hostname (no loopbacks, localhost or 127.0.0.1). Capture the successful sessions. Then install Fiddler on the remote client and do the same. Plese export session info for both local and remote requests and send us for analysis. Contact us via email and we'll provide the address where to email the files.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Newcomsas
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2008 6:04:29 AM(UTC)

Hello.
I am sorry but the contact page appearently doesn't work (an error is displayed while the message is submitted).
Anyway what follows is the Fiddler log of calls both from my computer (on wich Cassini is installed) and from an external machine (inside our LAN):

[Private content removed by moderator]

Best Regards,

Newcomsas

Ultidev Team
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2008 8:06:45 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi!

Contact page seems to be working - we are sorry for the inconvenience. We have also left you a private message in this forum with our email address, in case Contact page still does not work for you.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed