Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Redistribution UWS as prerequisite with Advanced Installer
infomato
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2011 2:16:06 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Dear Support,

I would like to add the UWS as one of the prerequisites in my installer using Advanced Installer. A few questions:

1. Security: How to I ensure the applications are registered as Network Service either using the UltiDev Web Server Setup.exe? Or should I write a code in .NET when I register the applications to the UWS server after it has been installed.
2. How do I make the UltiDev Web Server Setup runs without user intervention, just shows the progress.
3. How do I check if UWS has been previously installed? What if an earlier version of UWS has been installed, how do I automatically uninstall the older version first then install the newer version.

Thanks,

Wayne
Ultidev Team
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2011 5:05:02 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hello, Wayne.

We've done some research and here are preliminary results (we'll create a complete walk-through article in a few days). We've created Advanced Installer prerequisite for UWS. It will take care of installing and upgrading UWS in passive mode, with no user interaction - with just a progress bar. We'll do more research and post a bit on how to run UWS.RegApp.exe from AI custom actions.

Attached ZIP archive is AI UWS prerequisite. To use it, please do the following:

1. Please close Advanced Installer if it's running.
  2. Unpack the archive to "C:\ProgramData\Caphyon\Advanced Installer\Prerequisites". You should see "UltiDev Web Server Pro" folder with "UltiDev Web Server Pro.aip" file in it.
  3. Run AI and go to the Requirements->Prerequisites section.
  4. Click Add button.
  5. In the dropped-down menu click "UltiDev Web Server Pro" item - it's closer to the end of the menu.
  6. In the popped Edit Prerequisite dialog click blue "Command Line for each UI level.." link and specify /passive for Basic UI and /quiet for Silent (No UI) fields (please see attached image).
  7. Click OK to close both dialog. You should have UltiDev Web Server Pro now in the Products list of the Prerequisites section.
  8. Since registration of an application with the UWS requires administrative privileges, please ensure the installer runs in Elevated/Administrative mode by going to Deployment->Media->Bootstrapper->Security->Execution Level and set it to "Require Administrator". If you don't do this, the installation should still work, but will pop elevation confirmation dialogs too often.
  9. Build your product installer.
  10. Uninstall UWS and run your installer - it should download and install UWS.

Future versions of UWS will install Advanced Installer prerequisite automatically.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
File Attachment(s):
AI UltiDev Web Server Pro prereq.zip (1kb) downloaded 165 time(s).
Ultidev Team attached the following image(s):
Ultidev Team attached the following image(s): Advanced Installer - add UWS prereq menu.png
Ultidev Team attached the following image(s): Advanced Installer - adding UWS as prerequisite.png
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
Ultidev Team
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2011 8:33:39 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Alright, here's the AI custom actions guidance.

First, a couple of words on how we recommend setting up your files and folders in the project. Please create a folder named WebApp directory under the "Application Folder" and put all your web application files in it. After that please add "C:\Program Files\UltiDev\Web Server\Redist\Starter.exe" to your project's AppDir.

Next, you will need to create three InstallExecuteSequence custom actions, all of them of "Installed custom action", for Uninstall, Rollback and Install actions. For each of the InstallExecuteSequence custom actions, select Starter.exe from the Application Folder (see attached image).

Command line parameter for Uninstall and Rollback actions are the same and won't vary from app to app:
Code:
"[ProgramFilesFolder]\UltiDev\Web Server\UWS.RegApp.exe" /u /appid=[UpgradeCode]

(See attached image)

Command line for Install action will start with:
Code:
"[ProgramFilesFolder]\UltiDev\Web Server\UWS.RegApp.exe" /r /appid=[UpgradeCode] "/path=[WebApp_Dir]"

and continue with applications-specific parameters. [WebApp_Dir] value of "path" parameter comes from "WebApp" folder being placed under the "Application Folder". You can see an example of the complete registration command line in the final attached image. All registration parameters are described here.

Please let us know if you were able to build the installed with UWS using this information.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.

Ultidev Team attached the following image(s):
Ultidev Team attached the following image(s): Advanced Installer - adding Starter.exe to the project.png
Ultidev Team attached the following image(s): Advanced Installer - Unreg App from UWS custom action.png
Ultidev Team attached the following image(s): Advanced Installer - Register app with UWS custom action.png
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
1 user thanked Ultidev Team for this useful post.
infomato on 10/18/2011(UTC)
infomato
#4 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2011 8:17:08 PM(UTC)

Dear support,

I did exactly what you said
Ultidev Team;3093 wrote:
Unpack the archive to "C:\ProgramData\Caphyon\Advanced Installer\Prerequisites". You should see "UltiDev Web Server Pro" folder with "UltiDev Web Server Pro.aip" file in it.
  • Run AI and go to the Requirements->Prerequisites section.
  • " Please see Fig. 0.

But when I run the .aip file, I got an error saying "Exception - Current context does not contain an instance of this component [id caphyon.advinst.msicomp.PreReqComponent]. Please see Fig.1.

Thanks for the quick response over the weekend,

Wayne
    infomato attached the following image(s):
    infomato attached the following image(s): ultidev0.png
    infomato attached the following image(s): ultidev1.jpg
    Ultidev Team
    #6 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2011 9:13:12 PM(UTC)
    Ultidev Team

Hello, Wayne.

It looks like "UltiDev Web Server Pro.aip" file ended up in the "Prerequisites" folder instead of "Prerequisites\UltiDev Web Server Pro".

Please try pre-release of build 12 we emailed you. It should put the prerequisite file where it needs to be.

Best regards,
    UltiDev Team.
    infomato
    #7 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2011 10:53:26 PM(UTC)

Dear Support,

Thank you so much for the clear instruction. I am so impressed with your knowledge and speed. Do you guys ever sleep?

p.s. It seems not working on my Advanced Installer 7.2.1. But I was able to configure the prerequisite based on your instruction.

Regards,

Wayne
    Ultidev Team
    #8 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:37:40 AM(UTC)
    Ultidev Team

Hello, Wayne.

You are most welcome, and thank you much for your concern, we are making it.

Could you please let us know what happens with the installation when you say it does not work. Does AI not build it, or does installer not install UWS. Any detail will help. If you attach screenshots with how your prerequisite is set up, it will be useful. Also, when running the installation, please be sure to run the bootstrapper EXE, not just the MSI file, because prerequisites are installed by the bootstrapper.

Please let us know what you have found.

Best regards,
    UltiDev Team.
    infomato
    #9 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:42:26 PM(UTC)

Dear Support,

This issue happens when I update Ultidev Server Explorer to built 12. The Advanced Installer installer did installed before or after the update. But I did not see the Ultidev prerequisite component.

After the update, when I tried to execute my application, it throwed an exception saying the UWS.Configure.dll component cannot be found (see the attached 2nd image, ignore the 1st image uploaded by mistake). Because the component (UWS.Configure.dll) that my application referenced is an older version. Here is the headache for me - if the user updated the Ultidev Server Explorer himself, my application can no longer calls UWS.Configure.dll.

More specifically, my application references UWS.Configure.dll of built 11. But when I updated Ultidev Server Explorer to UWS.Configure.dll to built 12, my application throws an exception because UWS.Configure.dll of built 11 is no longer available. So when I tried to run the debugger on the Visual Stuido project, it won't compile because the reference UWS.Configure.dll (there is an '!' mark on it) is missing after the update.

Thanks,

Wayne
    infomato attached the following image(s):
    infomato attached the following image(s): ultidev1.jpg
    Ultidev Team
    #10 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:12:44 PM(UTC)
    Ultidev Team

Hello, Wayne.

This issue will be resolved in build 12. We have just emailed you the pre-released build 12 for testing that should make this problem go away.

Please let us know if it helped.

Best regards,
    UltiDev Team.
    infomato on 10/20/2011(UTC)
    infomato
    #11 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:25:34 AM(UTC)

Dear Support,

It works. That is great! Do you have the .msi version for this release?

Thanks,

Wayne
    Ultidev Team
    #12 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:59:17 AM(UTC)
    Ultidev Team

Hello, Wayne.

Once product is installed, the MSI can be found in "C:\Program Files\UltiDev\Web Server\Redist\Visual Studio" folder.

Please be sure to only test with it and do not ship it until build 12 is released.

Best regards,
    UltiDev Team.
    infomato on 10/20/2011(UTC)
    Rss Feed  Atom Feed