Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
VS 2010 Support
MikeK
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:45:39 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Is there an anticipated date for support for Visual Studio 2010 and .NET 4.0?
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 18, 2010 5:35:09 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Sorry, no date yet. We plan to release it this year, but we are still trying to decide whether to continue with simple Cassini-like feature set for ASP.NET 4 & VS'10, or to give IIS a run for their money and go high-end and support SSL, recyclable app pools, logging, etc.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
ScoobyDon
#3 Posted : Friday, May 7, 2010 2:18:35 PM(UTC)

I too am very interested in this. I have an application that was built in .NET 4.0 and is dependent on WCF Services.

Either way you go on an update (simple or IIS-like), will you include support for WCF?
Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 8, 2010 11:09:42 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi!

Supporting WCF is not really up to us. Lack of support of WCF in previous version of Cassini was WCF's expectation to be hosted either by IIS or by WAS when called over real NIC interface instead of localhost/127.0.0.1 loopback. We have not investigated yet whether that has changed in ASP.NET 4.0.

Thank you much and we will release ASP.NET 4.0 version of Cassini. Would you care to tell us what would like to add/change about the product?

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
method
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2010 12:47:59 PM(UTC)

Hmm, please excuse my possible ignorance, but aren't we talking about two different things here?

Supporting VS 2010 isn't hte same as supporting .NET 4.0. I have a .NET 3.5 web app that we're using the 2010 IDE to develop. The issue we're facing is that although Cassini supports the CLR we're targeting, it's not available as a prereq in 2010. Am I missing something or is 2010 indeed a separate/new feature?

By the way, I guess you guess would like to find new markets now that you've built up a good reputation with Cassini but I'm guessing the main reason we're all using it is that it's NOT IIS. ;)
Ultidev Team
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2010 6:03:12 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hello,

You are absolutely correct about .NET Framework 4 and Visual Studio 2010 being two independent features. In the next release Cassini Server will support ASP.NET 4.0, and Cassini Setup Project integration component for Visual Studio is a different component and it is going to support VS 2010.

We are always very curious about reasons that make people pick our products, so thank you much for sharing yours. We find that in most cases it's simplicity and ability to redistribute the web server that draws people to UltiDev Cassini.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
jblanckaert
#7 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2010 12:52:12 PM(UTC)

Hi,
I'm very interested in .NET framework 4.0 version of Cassini.
Hope it soon.
Thanks and best regards,
Ultidev Team
#8 Posted : Monday, May 17, 2010 4:31:15 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

hi there!

It will be a major upgrade. It will have not only ASP.NET 4, but also multiple recyclable hosting processes and support of virtual folders. Also proprietary listener will be replaced with http.sys, which will open the path to supporting SSL and logging in the future. This all means that Cassini will be coming out later this year.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Ultidev Team
#9 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2010 12:51:07 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

All, here's quick update on the progress.

We are working very hard and we feel we are on track to release Beta 1 of the UltiDev Web Server Pro before the end of the year. It remains free and redistributable, but will add lots of advanced, IIS-like features, including ASP.NET 4, SSL, multiple host processes, support of 32-bit applications on x64 systems, compression, virtual directories, port sharing, Windows authentication, conditional requests, etc. First Beta will include only runtime components, but Beta 2 will include redistributable prerequisites for Setup authoring tools like Visual Studio and possibly InstallShield. We hope to release 2 or 3 Betas in rapid succession and have final release early Q1 2011.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
MikeMiller
#10 Posted : Friday, November 5, 2010 6:02:19 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the update, sounds awesome! :-) But why do you give it away for free? If you sell it, you can invest more (paid) time for features and bugfixes etc.....

EDIT: 2 quick questions: What do you mean with "compression" and will the feature that keeps an app in memory stay the same (see http://ultidev.com/Forum....aspx?g=posts&t=447 ) ?

thanks
mike
Ultidev Team
#11 Posted : Saturday, November 6, 2010 12:58:13 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hello, Mike.

Q1. It's free because it's hard to compete with good free web servers like IIS and Apache. We rather use our web server as brand and awareness building tool for our other product - HttpVPN. However, we'll probably add "Donate" button somewhere. We agree that doing a major refresh in 2010 after 2006 release is not a very good release cycle. We would definitely like to generate some revenue to make the release cycle shorter.

Q2. Compression has to do with GZIP compression of responses served by the web server. If client sends a request and tells the server it understands GZIP encoding, our server will compress response for subset of content types, like HTML, XML, SOAP, JavaScript, CSS and all text MIME types. It helps a lot with bandwidth, especially for ASP.NET applications whose VIEWSTATE can be hundreds of kilobytes with just a couple of data grids on the page. As far as "keep in memory" feature goes, it will be tweaked a bit. Instead of being just a yes/no flag, application settings will allow specifying a relative URL that would be hit in order to keep application in memory. No URL - no keeping in memory. It will allow specifying URL other than default page to keep application in memory. Your posts were helpful in making this change - thank you, and everyone who reads this should note that this product's functionality is driven by our users to a very large extent, so please tell us what you think.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
MikeMiller
#12 Posted : Saturday, November 6, 2010 1:15:29 PM(UTC)

Thanks for this detailed informations. I think it will be a great product. If someone wants to build a web based desktop app like Google Desktop, in my view IIS and Apache are both no competitors to the UltiDev Web Server.

I've a last question: Does the new version take advantage of multicore CPU's ?
Ultidev Team
#13 Posted : Saturday, November 6, 2010 4:13:55 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

You're right. Google Desktop is a perfect example of the type of application that would benefit from UltiDev Web Server.

Both new and current version of UltiDev Cassini Web Server take advantage of multi-core CPUs because each request is handled by a separate thread, and multiple threads are scheduled on different cores or CPUs in SMP systems.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
MikeMiller
#14 Posted : Saturday, November 13, 2010 9:00:58 AM(UTC)

Thank you for the answer.

Quote:
Both new and current version of UltiDev Cassini Web Server take advantage of multi-core CPUs because each request is handled by a separate thread, and multiple threads are scheduled on different cores or CPUs in SMP systems.

I thought more on parallel programing than on separated thread per request, see here http://www.albahari.com/threading/part5.aspx

But of course that doesn't mean we can't use these parallel features on the serverside in our code (as long as it is .Net 4.0).
Ultidev Team
#15 Posted : Saturday, November 13, 2010 3:10:31 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Mike,

Most of UltiDev Web Server Pro components will be compiled as .NET 2.0, except CLR 4.0 host processes. But we have done lots of work to ensure that multi-core CPUs are used efficiently.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
stefano
#16 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 6:11:18 AM(UTC)

Great to know that VS2010 compatible version is on arrival!!
Ultidev Team
#17 Posted : Tuesday, November 30, 2010 12:10:07 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

We are working like mad on the new release. Hope to get it out of the door soon.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
caaanerud
#18 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2011 10:24:30 AM(UTC)

Just wondering if there has been any update. We have moved to framework 4.0 and trying to make a decsion on what ot uses as an alternative to Full IIS. Some places we can uses IIS, but others won't allow it because of the direct tie in to the OS which requires IT to get involved. We have used Cassini in the past and have been happy with the results, but now are having to look at alternatives like IIS express. I realize you are not charging for this product so the timeline may not be exact, but I'm wondering if you are able to give any further indication of progress?

Thanks!
Clay
Ultidev Team
#19 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2011 5:40:21 PM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi, Clay.

We are not far from releasing the first beta, a few weeks, probably. We did hit a snag at the end of November and had to completely replace (simplify) the logic of host processes life cycle management. It did cost us about seven weeks of delay, but now we are out of the woods, and the product is looking really good - running ASP.NET 4 in 32 and 64-bit modes without a hitch. We are are very anxious to get the product out of the door, but having just surpassed 500,000 installations mile stone we have a lot of users who will be unhappy if we don't do it well.

New release, although it will not require IT skills to, will require administrative access privileges to get product installed. Also, registering a web application with the web server will require administrative access as well because it's quite consequential from the security perspective.

We are sorry it's taking us a little longer than we expected, but have a feeling that the new version of the product will be worth waiting - it's much more sophisticated that its predecessor.

We very much appreciate your interest.
What do you think of IIS Express?

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
caaanerud
#20 Posted : Friday, February 4, 2011 5:28:12 AM(UTC)

Hi,
I'm looking forward to you next release. We have just started the evaluation of IIS Express. The main limitation we see from the start is that it is only 32 bit. It will run on 64 bit systems but using the wow layer. That is not a show stopper but is a concern. I will be required to get it setup as an alternative to Cassini until we have a viable release of Cassini to deploy with framework 4.0. At this point I still see Cassini as a cleaner standalone option. As I have time to do more with Express I will let you know my opinion. Good luck on the Cassini development and I look forward to giving it a spin.

Regards,
Clay Aanerud
Rss Feed  Atom Feed