Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

ASP.NET 2.0 Prerequisite not listed in Visual Studio 2005
misa
#1 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2006 12:29:40 AM(UTC)
Groups: Member

Hi,

i'm trying to include Ultidev Cassini Web Server 2.0 components in a setup project but I don't seem to locate the Ultidev Cassini redistributable components in the prerequisites list in Visual Studio 2005. I tried uninstalling and installing the server but still the prerequisites list does not contain an entry for Ultidev.
From the step-by-step tutorials it all seems very easy, so it's probably something that i'm doing wrong. But what can it be? Do I have to download something else from the site after installing the server?

Thanks
Ultidev Team
#2 Posted : Friday, November 17, 2006 5:49:14 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 60 time(s) in 59 post(s)
Hi there!

One of the reason for having the issue would be if Cassini for ASP.NET 1.1 (instead of for ASP.NET 2.0) was installed. Let's verify you have all the Cassini components installed. Please go to the Control Panel -> Add/Remove Software, and see if following products are installed:
- UltiDev Cassini Web Server Explorer;
- UltiDev Cassini Web Server for ASP.NET 2.0;
- UltiDev Cassini Web Server for Visual Studio 2005 Developers;

First two components are Cassini runtime for ASP.NET 2.0; The last one is what makes Cassini appear as a setup project prerequisite in VS '05. If you have all the above-listed components installed and still no Cassini 2.0 in the list of prerequisites, please go to the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages\UltiDev Cassini Web Server for ASP.NET 2.0" folder and see whether is has product.xml file and a "en" folder.

Please let us know what you found.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
Arnd H.
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2006 10:43:16 AM(UTC)

I just had the same problem; I also told the installer to "repair" the "Web Server for Visual Studio 2005 Developers", but nothing changed.

I have the folder "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages\UltiDev Cassini Web Server for ASP.NET 2.0", and the files you mentioned are there; however, I have Visual Studio installed in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Visual Studio 2005"! I moved the UltiDev package folder to the correct place, and including it as a prerequisite seems to be working now.

I suspect that the Cassini installer I downloaded (at the end of September) simply does not check where Visual Studio ist actually installed.
Ultidev Team
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 12, 2006 10:51:18 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Thank you for the input. You are right, Cassini installer assumes Visual Studio is installed in the default location. We'll log the issue to fix it in one of the future releases.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Please donate at http://www.ultidev.com/products/Donate.aspx to help us improve our products.
Maschine
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 15, 2007 7:47:49 AM(UTC)

Hey guys,

I have a similar problem: I also have installed VS 2005 in a non-standard folder, but I can't find the mentioned files in my program files folder (and actually nowehre else on my harddisk ;-)).

During the installation I get a notification message that UltiDev Cassini was installed successfully, but "Installation of UltiDev Cassini integration components for MS VS 2005 was skipped, because VS 2005 was not found in its regular location".

Any chance for me to get the components into my setup project without reinstalling VS 2005 to another location?

Thanks for your replies!
Maschine
Ultidev Team
#6 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2007 5:32:24 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Hi, Maschine.

The workaround would be to trick Cassini Installer into thinking VS 2005 is present at its usual location, and then after Cassini integration components for Visual Studio are installed, you can move them to your actual VS 2005/2008 prerequisite repository location. Here's how to do that:

1. Create "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE" folder and copy devenv.exe file there from its actual location. Cassini installer is looking for this file to determine whether Visual Studio 2005 was installed and to find the location of the prerequisite components.
2. Install UltiDev Cassini for ASP.NET 2.0 - it should work now.
3. Go to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages" folder and copy "UltiDev Cassini Web Server for ASP.NET 2.0" folder and its contents
- for Visual Studio 2005: to "[Actual VS'05 Location]\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages".
- for Visual Studio 2008: to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages".

I you use 64-bit windows, "c:\Program Files" paths should be replaced with "c:\Program Files (x86)".

This should be it - you should see UltiDev Cassini for ASP.NET 2.0 among setup prerequisites now. Please remember that in the future you may need to repeat the steps for another release of UltiDev Cassini.

Best regards,
UltiDev Team.
Maschine
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:24:28 AM(UTC)

Thanks for your fast answer :-)

It worked great as you described it!

Thanks again.
Maschine
Ultidev Team
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 18, 2007 8:21:33 AM(UTC)
Ultidev Team

Wonderful!

We apologize for not having this issue fixed in the most recent release of UltiDev Cassini - we attempted to do that but our regression testing revealed that in some random cases installer was unable to find Visual Studio correctly. Our schedule did not allow us to keep working on this problem as the scope of the issue was hard to determine. We will try to have this fixed next time.

Thank you for your understanding,
UltiDev Team.
#10 Posted : Saturday, September 15, 2018 6:48:42 PM(UTC)
Groups:

Message was deleted by a Moderator.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed